Vinyl lineals

Old 04-06-21, 03:38 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Vinyl lineals

I am looking to install vinyl lineals on my home around the windows and as trim. This is a ranch style home. I'd like it to look like the attached picture. I will be using the same vinyl siding as the pic as well.

1) Can I use j-channel around the windows for starter strip?
2) If I am using a standard lineal and not an H-trim lineal, to separate the gable from the bottom half, how do I alter it? Do I need to alter it?
3) Do I need to alter the standard lineals if I am using them on the bottom of the house or do I just start out with them instead of the vinyl siding? I will have starter strip installed along the bottom.

Old 04-07-21, 06:17 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 867 Votes on 798 Posts
You keep saying "lineal" a lot but I'm not sure it's as universal as you think.

1. I do not use starter strip around windows as it's extremely unlikely the bottom edge of siding will align perfectly with the top of a window. So, J channel is used instead. Normally the window is trimmed with aluminum trim stock then J channel butts up to make the transition to vinyl. You may have to remove or modify your window trim if you have your heart set on vinyl lineal

2. For the transition there are double J, H shaped vinyl you can use. You can also use two strips of standard J channel with flashing between. Then there is double sided lineal available in different widths.

3. Normally you use starter strip at the bottom and not a lineal. I know it won't match the current look in your photo but I don't like an up ended channel catching all the dirt & water coming down an entire wall.

Old 04-07-21, 10:55 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks, I am familiar with the H shape vinyl but they don't sell it in 5" like the rest I am using. they only have it in 3 1/2 inch. I was hoping to alter the 5 inch one, like the one I pictured above. I would like a five inch strip separating the gable and bottom half of the house.

Also, the lineals call for starter/finish stip. I guess it click onto it. I was wondering if I could click it onto the j-channel instead since that will already be installed.

Old 04-07-21, 03:33 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 867 Votes on 798 Posts
There is no "clicking" with any J channels. It's just a slot that the siding sits in. Starter strip will snap onto the bottom edge of the siding.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: