LP smart trim around replacement windows.

Old 04-14-21, 05:12 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
LP smart trim around replacement windows.

Hello, im getting ready to install LP smart siding and trim ( Diamond Kote prefinished) on my home. I have got everything planned out except how to go about trimming around my windows. I want to use the pocket hole method to avoid face nails. So the whole window frame is assembled then nailed up using the nail fin attached to the diamond kote trim. My problem is the replacement windows stick out 3/4" from the sheathing. I wanted to install the trim over the flange to conceal the window fin screws but that seems like it wont work now without the trim sticking way too far out. What options do I have at this point? I attached some pictures to show whats going on. The fiber sheathing and wood around windows are on the same plane, with the window fin sticking out 3/4" . I removed a 1x3/4 filler piece behind the flange when I took off the outside storm window but replaced it already.

Old 04-14-21, 05:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 938 Votes on 856 Posts
How about a photo from farther away so we get a little context of the rest of the opening.

Old 04-14-21, 05:27 PM
J
Old 04-14-21, 05:30 PM
J
I think I will also have to flush cut the bottom sill.

Old 04-14-21, 06:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 938 Votes on 856 Posts
Yes, you should probably cut your sills first, and then apply your housewrap. Then measure for your window trim, measure the outside of the fin (width and height) and add 1/8" to both dimensions. That way you can slip them over the fin... and caulk the edges.

Screws are going to be exposed, that's just the way it is. If the windows ever get replaced again someday they won't have to rip off the trim to do it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: