Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Exterior Paneling and All Exterior Sidings
Reload this Page >

installing vinyl Corner piece close to electrical lines

Old 12-27-21, 10:44 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

My Vinyl siding corner piece came and lose.. the piece is close to the electric al lines and I'm not sure how to handle this. Also I was planning on cutting the nail ing flannel off and glueing back up. Finding it impossible to find someone to fix.

Any suggestions ideas or pointers will be greatly appreciated
thank you

Old 12-27-21, 11:18 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,561 Votes on 1,404 Posts
You need to leave the nailing flange in place and reattach it properly by nailing through the flange. Gluing it will not work. Vinyl expands and contracts a lot with changes in temperature and needs to be able to move freely. Plus, you have foam behind your siding which isn't solid to glue to.

Old 12-27-21, 01:15 PM
W
Received 51 Votes on 46 Posts
Have the power company cut your electrical service loose at the pole while you repair the vinyl. In our area, there is no charge for this service by the power company.

Old 12-27-21, 01:31 PM
Received 249 Votes on 214 Posts
Some POCOs will wrap the lines for you and you do not have to lose power while making the repair.

Old 12-27-21, 03:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,528 Votes on 1,372 Posts
Take the downspout down to get it out of your way... and remove the strap holding it to the siding.

Get a Malco Swideswiper vinyl siding unlock tool. Watch youtube videos to learn how to use it.

Unlock all the siding on both sides of the corner post. Pull all the nails within 3 feet of the corner. This will allow you to bend the pieces back enough for you to slip the corner post in, and nail it to the wall. Ensure the top and bottom are square (with a tri-square) before you nail it on. Once you have it nailed on start at the bottom and slip the pieces of siding back into the corner one by one, nailing each one as you go. When you get to the top you will need to use the Malco Sideswiper to hook up the last piece of siding to the one above it (on the left side of your photo).

I'm not sure you need to mess with the power. If i was doing it, I would probably just leave that one piece of siding with the insulator in place, (maybe even the one above it) because you can slip the corner post behind them easily enough. You would just nail the corner post above and below those 2 pieces of siding, since all the other pieces you can get loose in order to nail the corner on.

Do NOT cut the nail fin off, and do NOT caulk it on.

Old 12-28-21, 07:24 AM
Received 946 Votes on 859 Posts
Not sure of your location, but vinyl work, especially when it needs to be flexed and separated is difficult in cold weather, might consider waiting till it warms up..

Old 12-28-21, 01:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 2,953 Votes on 2,664 Posts
Looks like cedar shakes behind the siding so leaving the repair until the spring shouldn't cause any water issues into the house.

I'm not thrilled with that service. There should have been more wire coming out of the service head. That wire is bent in a loop from the head down to form a water drip loop. It looks like your wiring is borderline. The problem with that is the water follows the wiring down into the meter and then possibly into the panel.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: