MainStreet Single 8"

Old 04-21-22, 05:59 PM
N
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
MainStreet Single 8"

We're in the process of figuring out new siding for our house, and we like Certainteed MainStreet Single 8" (https://www.menards.com/main/buildin...4447233995.htm).

However, our contractor said that 'he heard that' (as he normally installs double 4 or 5, not 8") the larger 8" are prone to warping.

Is there any truth to this? I googled it and didn't really find much.

Thank you.

Old 04-21-22, 08:31 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,528 Votes on 1,372 Posts
Yes it is prone to warping, if no backing is installed. That siding was quite popular in the past and the way to prevent that was to nail up tapered pieces of 8" eps foam so that the siding would have a solid "shape" behind it to prevent it from warping. I don't know of anyone who enjoyed doing that, especially on a windy day. Put up the starter strip... then put up a piece of foam. Then put up a piece of siding. Then put up another piece of foam on top of the nail fin of that last piece of siding. Then put up another row of siding... and repeat. Chasing the foam down the block every now and then when the wind catches it.

If you want the look of a wide lap siding i would highly suggest you get an insulated vinyl siding, like Menards 7" "Cedarboards". It has the foam backer glued to the back of the siding and it is very durable and does not warp at all. (When installed correctly) Alcoa (now Plygem) Structures is what many major siding suppliers would have... and its also available in longer lengths... for less seams.

Old 04-22-22, 04:55 PM
N
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Thanks so much. I'll take a look at the single 7"

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: