Need a clever idea to protect siding

Old 05-04-22, 06:36 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need a clever idea to protect siding

I am waiting for screens for my neighbors low-e windows because their reflection is causing my siding to melt, but I have to wait 5 weeks. I bet someone has a smart idea of what I could hang on my vinyl siding to protect it .What kind of material could I obtain at a reasonable price that would not be too heavy, but withstand a bit of wind. Or maybe I am dreaming.......sigh.....

Old 05-04-22, 07:00 PM
Group Moderator
Received 2,954 Votes on 2,665 Posts
It would have to be pretty large on your house as the sun moves.
Is your neighbor aware of your problem ?

More effective to block at the window.
How many windows are causing problems ?

Old 05-05-22, 01:13 AM
Received 946 Votes on 859 Posts
I bet someone has a smart idea of what I could hang on my vinyl
​​​​​​​Get some screen material and hang it on the widow.

Old 05-05-22, 06:09 AM
Group Moderator
Received 145 Votes on 113 Posts
Large painters tarp maybe?

Old 05-05-22, 06:13 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,561 Votes on 1,404 Posts
I have a similar problem on the back of my house, the south facing side. The sun reflecting from one of the windows for about a month each summer kills a strip in the lawn. A regular window screen helps a little but it only blocks a small fraction of the sun's power.

You can put an outdoor blind on the outside of their window. They do need to be screwed to the house so there will be a marks/holes when it is removed. Most blinds have bottom brackets to hold them from blowing in the wind but on windy days they can still slap against the house.

I covered the outside of my windows with perforated vinyl. It is the vinyl stock material used to print signs for fast food restaurant windows, cab and buss advertising wraps. It is available with different size and quantities of holes to vary how much sun can pass through. The holes allow you to see out from the inside. I think I have 80% coverage, 20% open area. I have no printing and have plain white on the outside which matches the window trim but it is a very different look. OK for the back of the house but I wouldn't want it on the front. On the inside of the house it's not noticeable and seems like a window tint as you can't see the holes until you get up close. On the outside of the house though instead of seeing glass you just have a white panel with tiny little dots (the holes).

Old 05-05-22, 06:14 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 672 Votes on 595 Posts
What kind of material could I obtain at a reasonable price that would not be too heavy,
Large painters tarp maybe
Small drop clothes are exactly light and a large one certainly would be heavy.

Old 05-08-22, 07:23 PM
K
Thank you.
As I have said, I am waiting for screens. If that does not work I am prepared to buy them windows that are not
low-e (hope they don't give me trouble). I have heard car wax on the outside temporarily but I am afraid they won't go for that.
Anyway that is why I wanted to try to cover my siding.
Hey maybe some screen material and I hang it on MY siding.

Old 05-08-22, 08:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 595 Votes on 511 Posts
I would try a white bedsheet(s). Attach it to some poles or the soffit of your house so that it is away from your siding. You are trying to keep a separation between the sheet and the siding so neither gets too hot.

Old 05-09-22, 11:04 AM
Received 44 Votes on 39 Posts
Could you not block the window with a screen in your yard on the property line? Perhaps a lattice screen with some nice flowery vines growing on them.

Old 05-09-22, 11:11 AM
Received 594 Votes on 531 Posts
Perhaps using a sprinkler against your house as a method to cool it during that part of the day.

I would think you have some legal recourse to make your neighbor provide protection of some sort.

Old 05-09-22, 12:05 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,561 Votes on 1,404 Posts
Luckily you should only have the reflection problem for a short while, or it will move a little bit each day with the sun. In my case it only posed an issue for a few weeks each summer.

Old 05-09-22, 01:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 2,954 Votes on 2,665 Posts
I would think you have some legal recourse to make your neighbor provide protection of some sort.
Not really Norm. You'd have to hope your neighbors wanted to be helpful.
Many neighbors are not helpful.

Old 05-09-22, 02:51 PM
Received 594 Votes on 531 Posts
Well that begs the question, that a neighbor can cause damage to a neighbor's house without ramifications?
If I was to install drainage pipe on my property or build up the land as such to cause all the water to flow into my neighbor's yard, I would not be allowed and would be fined.
That was the question I proposed about year ago when my daughters rear neighbors were complaining about daughters natural run-off of water. If any of the run-ff was a deliberate action from her
then she would need to rectify it. But natural run-off is not actionable.
So installing windows that deliberately cause damaging action on a neighbor's home seems like liability as opposed to normal windows that cannot be controlled. The fact that screens are in fact being supplied proves control can be had.
Not too un-similar to a barking dog that will not be quite during sleeping house. Owner must control the dog. Or maybe building a structure that impinges on the neighbors ability to see, or provide egress from the property. Like a fence that may block total sight of on-coming traffic as when exiting the property.
Of course local ordinances provides for that situation as does permits and such.

Sounds like a response from Hal. (He's a lawyer, a realtor broker and a bunch of other stuff, but not my lawyer, or realtor broker, or other stuff). LOL

Old 05-11-22, 05:19 PM
K
I have not been able to find the results of a legal case. I would think splitting the cost of the windows would be fair.

I have read in several places that it is worse when the sun is more angled which would actually not the Summer. Before replacing, I did not notice because i never go on that side of the house.

The bed sheet sounds like a pretty good idea, but it has been awfully windy here in New England, It would be like a sail.

Norm, Sprinkler system on the siding till i get the screens.....very interesting idea. If I only I knew what time it is reflecting. Mmmmmm.....

Old 05-11-22, 11:31 PM
Received 946 Votes on 859 Posts
I would think you have some legal recourse to make your neighbor provide protection of some sort

Would think sun damage would be no different than if a neighbors tree fell on your property and did damage, the owner is responsible.

So I mentioned in earlier post, instead of trying to protect you house, which really isn't practical due to large area, if neighbors are agreeable there were several suggestions to take the solution to the source and put some material on THEIR window to resolve!

Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 05-12-22, 10:00 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 318 Votes on 284 Posts
If you can't agree on an inexpensive solution, re-siding that portion of your house in something like HardiPlank (cement-based siding) might be a good solution. It'll be much more expensive than sun screens or similar, but probably a better solution than paying them to replace their windows.

AFAIK, there's not a lot of case law on this. I've read some about it in the past and there are some one-off lawsuits between homeowners, their neighbors, window, and siding manufacturers. Of course everyone points fingers at the other, and it seems that the window manufacturer or builder (if new construction) usually end up on the losing side. But it's very inconsistent since there's no law around sun reflections.

f I was to install drainage pipe on my property or build up the land as such to cause all the water to flow into my neighbor's yard, I would not be allowed and would be fined.
On the other hand, most states have water control regulations and ordinances, so discharging water or changing the way rainwater is handled is very specifically covered in law.

Old 05-12-22, 05:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 595 Votes on 511 Posts
While the sheet would flap in the wind I do not think it would be too bad. If you just attach the top edge of the bedsheet and leave the rest loose I would think it would be OK. Similar to a flag. Maybe you can get some flags and be the most patriotic house on the block!

Old 05-18-22, 11:06 AM
P
Received 26 Votes on 22 Posts
I see this thread has been quiet, but I figured I'd chime in with my two cents.

Of course, try to work something out with the neighbor before getting lawyers involved. If they won't work with you, I would like to think there is some type of legal recourse here but who knows; our legal system is only second to our healthcare system in terms of screwiness.

Definitely talk to your neighbors about covering the windows with something until the screens come in; covering your house will look ridiculous and probably not be feasible given the angle of the sun is changing throughout the day.

I would reach out to the company that manufactured your neighbor's windows. They might have some type of tint or treatment for the outside to reduce the reflection. You can also see what that building in london ended up doing after it was melting cars parked nearby (did they replace windows or add a coating??)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: