How to attach ledger board to uneven stone wall

Old 05-13-22, 09:04 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to attach ledger board to uneven stone wall

I want to build a shed roof to cover our patio. My wall is uneven stone. I can attach the ledger board no problem but..., I'm struggling to figure out how to make the connection of the ledger board to the stone wall watertight?

Old 05-13-22, 10:31 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,571 Votes on 1,412 Posts
You can make a horizontal saw cut in the stone. Then insert flashing into the slot to bridge over the uneveness.

Old 05-13-22, 02:08 PM
Group Moderator
Received 2,972 Votes on 2,681 Posts
Can you post a picture of where you want to install the ledger.... How to insert pictures.

Old 05-13-22, 03:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,534 Votes on 1,378 Posts
Technically you don't attach structural ledgers to any type of veneer, whether brick or stone.

Old 05-14-22, 04:20 AM
C
Received 228 Votes on 186 Posts
It may not be veneer. I grew up in a stone farmhouse built in 1840. The walls were over a foot thick.

I think lead flashing formed to the stone and a liberal use of caulk would work.

Old 05-14-22, 09:07 AM
H
Received 250 Votes on 216 Posts
Originally Posted by b1jsph
My wall is uneven stone. I can attach the ledger board no problem but..., I'm struggling to figure out how to make the connection of the ledger board to the stone wall watertight?
I'm in an old stone farmhouse. I've seen 3 ways to do this.
#1 is to bolt the ledge board into the stone wall, plug the bottom gap between the ledger board and wall, and then fill with plaster, concrete, construction glue, or anything else that will fill the gap, and/or bond the ledge board to the wall

#2 is
Originally Posted by Pilot Dane
You can make a horizontal saw cut in the stone. Then insert flashing into the slot to bridge over the uneveness.
#3 is the opposite / compliment to #2 above, custom scribe and cut metal flashing to match the stone wall. (image of this done vertically with drywall below) You layout the flashing against the uneven wall, find and measure the largest gap (e.g. 2" gap between the straight edge of the flashing and the lowest point of the wall, then you get a drafting compass, set it 2" gap, and trace the irregular outline onto the flashing, then jig-saw the flashing to conform to the irregular wall, and caulk in place.

​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​

Old 05-17-22, 07:20 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
pictures

Here's what I'm dealing with. I'm sure it's a stone veneer over cinder blocks. I planned to attach ledger with some big redheads thru the stone and into the cinder block.

Just wondered about making the ledger water-tight. Cutting a notch would be hard work. Thinking that coping the connection of wall to board with concrete would be best bet.

Maybe put hydraulic concrete in the gap first and then finish it up and make it look purty with concrete patching material.....

Old 05-17-22, 07:40 AM
M
Received 235 Votes on 213 Posts
I would not connect the ledger directly to the stone.
I would use wood blocks to offset it out from the stone and then use blocks of various widths at the redhe4ad points to keep the leger a equal distance from the wall.
Once the roof is on I would cut a flashing to contour the stone and overlap the roof.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: