painting labor

Old 05-16-22, 10:37 AM
W
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
painting labor

What do you think is a reasonable price range to charge for painting per exterior surface area, if all supplies are provided by the owner? I know someone who wants a few odd things painted/stained and they want to pay by the job not the hour. That's fine with me but I need to come up with a price based on surface area I guess. I was a painter for a couple years but that was a long time ago

Old 05-16-22, 12:02 PM
Received 46 Votes on 40 Posts
You could figure how long to do each job then multiply by the hourly rate you want then give the total to the customer. As an example....it will take 1 hour to do 1 coat of paint on the wall multiply that by the total coats say 2. So now you see it takes 2 hours to do whole wall. You are worth say $25 per hour so the price given to the customer would be $50. Plug in the numbers you want as this is just an example. Don't forget to add time for sanding if needed and clean up time also.

worker9999 voted this post useful.
Old 05-16-22, 12:57 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 676 Votes on 598 Posts
Ya, that's for the most part how I bid individual jobs. I had a sq ft price for builders [volume] I always estimated how much time it would take me [x hourly rate] and then add 10-15% to cover anything I might have missed. Don't forget to add something for your travel time as well.

Old 05-16-22, 06:18 PM
W
so whats a reasonable man hours/area estimate for exterior? I saw one website that said 3 people could paint the exterior of a 2500 sq foot home in 1 day, which I found unrealistically fast

Old 05-17-22, 02:30 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Each job is different. Identical houses on very different lots can take different times, vegetation and how the terrain lays plays a big part. The type of substrate also makes a difference. Best thing is to try and figure how long it will take you and go from there. If estimating the entire job is too daunting, divide it up into little portions, figure each portion and then add them together to come up with your quote. If you bid too low you won't make as much but that is part of the learning process. Too high and you might not get the job. The more jobs you bid the better you will become at it.

Old 05-17-22, 03:40 PM
W
You guys are making it hard to trick you into giving me a starting number. I haven't painted for hire for many many years, and I'm only planning to do a few small jobs for an acquaintance. By the time I learn to estimate well by trial and error, I'll be finished.

Old 05-18-22, 02:05 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Labor prices can vary greatly from one area to another. Plus each job is different and will take a different amount of labor. Some labor is easy but some is not so you price accordingly. I've been retired for awhile and don't even know what the current pricing is locally.

Old 05-18-22, 04:49 PM
W
Let me try a different question. How long does it take you to paint 500 sq feet wood exterior siding or porch overhang?

Old 05-18-22, 04:55 PM
D
Group Moderator
Received 150 Votes on 123 Posts
I painted the outside of our home one time. For about 3 hours.... I got the cans open, the sprayer & air compressor out. I went to the store for a couple of 44oz fountain drinks for me & the wife.
I came home with 2 fountain drinks & and a painter that dropped by the store for some cigarettes. $500 later, the house was painted. I was happy.

worker9999 voted this post useful.
Old 05-19-22, 02:17 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
How long does it take you to paint 500 sq feet wood exterior siding or porch overhang?
How is the paint to be applied? [brush, roller, spray]What is the lay of the land? vegetation? windows? is the overhang boxed or open cornice, how high off the ground.

If spraying, the prep and clean up will take longer than the actual applying of the paint.

Old 05-19-22, 05:42 AM
Received 951 Votes on 863 Posts
You guys are making it hard to trick you into giving me a starting number.
Your simply asking a question that can not be answered, too many variables.

Old 05-27-22, 11:44 AM
W
Oh c'mon you're just chicken. So create a hypthetical scenario without variables then!

Here: underside of carport, 40 x 15 feet with 6x6" beams every 8 feet, pressure wash and oil paint, some scraping involved, fully accessible with step ladder.

another: painted half-log siding, 30 X 8', probably oil, no bushes or access problems

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: