Woodpecker Stucco Damage

Old 05-24-22, 07:51 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Woodpecker Stucco Damage

Hi Everyone, thank you for the help.
A woodpecker recently created a 2x2" hole in our poolhouse stucco. I'm hoping to repair this myself (as we're getting $1000-$1500 quotes by local tradesmen). I'm hoping to make this look as good as original. I'm thinking of doing the steps below but your expertise or better ideas are appreciated:

(hole zoomed in 2x2")

(Hole at top right under soffit)

1) fill hole with ?non expanding foam filler and let it dry (or should I use expanding foam?)

foam filler

2) patch it on top with DAP all-purpose stucco patch? (seems to have better reviews than quikrete)

3) use a green float to add similar texture as rest of stucco (photos attached)
4) paint new stucco patch with paint primer?
5) use color matched (?acrylic) paint to match the rest of the stucco? I'm thinking of cutting a small patch of the stucco so the local paint store can match it as best as possible?

Thanks everyone

Last edited by mbishara; 05-24-22 at 08:08 PM.
Old 05-24-22, 07:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,527 Votes on 1,371 Posts
Your links are broken.

Putting pictures in your post

Old 05-24-22, 08:09 PM
M
Sorry XSleeper, I fixed the photos I believe.

Old 05-24-22, 08:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,527 Votes on 1,371 Posts
What you have is called EIFS. It's a synthetic stucco. The Dap product is for hard coat (traditional) stucco, not EIFS. I certainly wouldn't cut more out just to match the color. My guess is your woodpecker will be back so I would focus on a temporary fix for now.

Old 05-24-22, 09:07 PM
M
Thanks for clarifying re EIFS. Is there a way to fix the EIFS to match the rest? In terms of preventing this woodpecker; i'll be purchasing owls/shiny streamers etc anything to deter it.

Old 05-25-22, 11:10 AM
T
Received 33 Votes on 27 Posts
Cut out the stray fibers. Use your filler. But leave it shy of flush by about a half inch. use your stucco patch to fill it the rest of the way. Float as you describe. Paint
It looks like the foam is 1 1/2” or 2” thick. If it is only 1” or 3/4” just fill it with the stucco patch, forget the spray foam.. Hollow out a quarter inch or so behind the coating and press the mortar well into that void. this will form a plug to keep it from falling out. it might take two coats to fill it flush if the material wants to sag out. Whatever you do don’t over fill. Probably your most difficult part of this is the timing of when to float it so you don’t hollow it out but still get the texture. Your idea of matching the color to the finish is fine. it only takes a piece about the size of a quarter to get the Match. Just hollow out behind what you cut off.

There is an official way to patch EIFS. It involves a grinder, more of the foam of the same thickness, a coat of base coat and mesh and new finish. It is a lot more complicated than my alteration of your idea.

The price to have it done might be the price for the official way and for the work and risk of climbing the ladder.
Sometimes you pay for what a person knows, not merely his time.
Learn to do this well. You will be doing it again.

Old 05-25-22, 05:04 PM
M
Thank you so much for the info. Does the premade stucco patch mixture I mentioned, will it stick to the foam filler or there has to be somethin that bonds it? Should I buy self adhesive fiberglass mesh tape and put that on the foam filler so the stucco mixture adheres to the mesh better?
Should I sand down some of the sand texture of the surrounding EIFS so that some of the mesh is visible, will that help with bonding the stucco patch mixture ?

Old 05-26-22, 08:22 AM
T
I don’t know if there is some adhesive in the stucco patch. There might be. You could use some bonding agent like Quickcrete bonding adhesive, but not concrete fortifier. They look similar but are different. If you can buy a quart of it it would not hurt to use it but it is expensive if you have to buy a gallon. You only need a tablespoonful. If you use some spray foam I think you will get some bond if you peel off the outer skin and leave some pores exposed. I would not bother with mesh. Probably it will just float to the surface when you float the finish. No you won’t help anything by sanding off some of the finish. Try not to lap too much of your patch onto the existing surrounding surface. Hollowing out some of the foam behind the coatings will help lock the patch onto the wall.

Old 09-19-22, 08:55 PM
M
Hi Everyone I ended up repairing it with the foam and stucco patch I enquired about, Here are the results for anyone browsing/looking into doing this too! it didn't end up being as hard as I imagined and it was fun to do. I found this stucco patch in particular from Dap has a bit of flexible texture to it (almost silicone like), so to get the similar sand appearance, I found scraping it with a tongue depressor broken in half and using the jagged end created the right texture (about 30 minutes after application.
This is the foam process below and then I used a scalpel from work to shave things down: Note when I applied the foam, while it was fresh - I also inserted mesh tape into the foam to give it more structure and for the stucco patch to hopefully bind to that as well.

foam + mesh embedded

stucco patch applied (not painted yet)

final work

Final work

Old 09-20-22, 08:00 AM
T
That looks good. Thanks for letting us know how it went. Any more woodpeckers?

Old 09-20-22, 10:10 AM
M
no thankfully not; i'm going to put up an owl for next spring and put back the shiny streamer things but at least now i know how to repeat the process more efficiently.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: