Shed Repair rotted T1-11 siding

Old 06-11-22, 05:56 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Shed Repair rotted T1-11 siding

Shed size is 10' x 12' about 28 years old. In the process of cutting off the rotted T1-11 and replacing with 2' pieces of LP Smartside panels. I've installed the z-flashing and left about 3/8" gap at the horizontal edges. The attached picture shows the rear wall with the panels installed. Since taking the picture I've completed paneling the two sides also. One issue is the thickness of the T1-11 and Smartside are about 1/4 " different. T1-11 is thicker
My questions are:
1. Is blocking necessary behind the joint? I'm guessing it would help seal the opening, but I don't think it would add to strengthen it.
2. Should the horizontal gap be covered with trim? I don't think it is necessary and would most likely rot overtime unless it was pvc or something. But, is it necessary? I don't want to interrupt the water flowing over the flashing, nor backing up under the T1-11.
3. The corner trim will not line up due to the two thicknesses. Is it ok to add a furring strip behind the trim on the lower panel where necessary?
4. I want to add a gravel bed around the shed. Will a 1' wide bed of 4" of pea gravel avoid dirt back splashing?
Any other thoughts or suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

Rear shed wall with upper t1-11 original and lower panels of LP Smartside

Old 06-11-22, 06:36 AM
Received 594 Votes on 531 Posts
Gutters will do more than anything else. And yes the stone bed will help. It's waht I did. Just for looks I would put a furing strip across the flashing. It will rot in about 5 years but so what.

Old 07-05-22, 07:12 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Just wanted to update the post with the completed project. Hopefully, I've added a few more years to it.
Here is a before and after. The T1-11 in front was in pretty decent shape, so I only had to repair the two sides and back.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: