Waterproofing Material cut During Corner Trim Repair

Old 06-11-22, 08:41 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Waterproofing Material cut During Corner Trim Repair

Hello everyone -

We're getting our house repainted next week, and I'm working on repairing some rotted trim on the corner of the house with Azek. When I cut away to the rotted parts, I accidently also cut through the black weatherproofing sheathing that underlays it all. I used a zip-it (basically a hand held router that can also do some sanding/grinding with a geared attachment) because that's the only tool I had that could reliably cut through just one layer of wood. Unfortunately, I had to take out two layers, down the waterproofing sheathing.

So now I have a 1/8" groove cut in this sheathing from one side to the other, on both sides of the corner.

What is the best way to repair that weatherproofing layer before I start nailing up the new trim?

Thanks In Advance,
Jesse

Last edited by XSleeper; 06-11-22 at 12:25 PM.
Old 06-11-22, 09:15 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,528 Votes on 1,372 Posts
There is no real good way to repair a WRB membrane that has been cut where the trim and siding meet. You'd have to remove all the siding to flash it. A cut in your weather resistant sheathing would be similar... about all you can do is caulk it. PL Polyurethane and Flashing sealant would be a good choice.

Old 06-11-22, 11:58 AM
J
Thanks, XSleeper. So I see you listed TWO product types. What if it comes all-in-one like: LOCTITE PL Roof and Flashing Polyurethane Sealant?

While we are talking sealing, I do have to do something where the new trim pieces meet the old. The cut isn't super straight so I was thinking of filling the gap with something like bondo? Or should I go with that sealant I'm using underneath?

Old 06-11-22, 12:00 PM
Group Moderator
That is the product I was referring to... I left the word roof out for some reason. Bondo might work for a while. Caulk might be better. With bondo it will take multiple coats and a lot of sanding. It's more work than you think.

Old 06-11-22, 12:06 PM
J
Question Replacing Underlying Supporting but Rotting Wood with Azek

I'm repairing a pretty rotty lower corner trim on my home. It's a kind of a standout thing so there is a 1" underlaying piece of wood that has also rotted too badly to Bondo it. So I'm gonna slice it out and replace it with Azek. However, the piece of wood is 11 1/4" wide. One board of Azek with that width is at this time is about $78, and only comes in 8' lengths. Is there any problem (code or otherwise) with just putting two 5.5" pieces (of which I have extra from rest of trim) underneath with a 1/4" space between them? I can certainly use a Poly sealant to fill it.

Last edited by XSleeper; 06-11-22 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Threads merged
Old 06-11-22, 12:19 PM
Group Moderator
There are no "codes" that cover trim. Do whatever you want.

You can also keep similar questions in the same thread.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: