Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Exterior Paneling and All Exterior Sidings
Reload this Page >

"Fair price" to remove old shutters and install new ones

Old 07-26-22, 12:36 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I purchased some basic vinyl shutters to replace three existing sets of shutters. Two sets are on the ground floor and I could do those easily myself. The one challenging set is on a window on a bonus room above the garage. I'm OK being on a ladder, but I'd rather have someone do those. I doubt anyone would come out to do just one set, so I'm looking for someone to do all three.

I've gotten one quote so far ($225/set). I'm trying to get a couple more quotes. Not surprisingly I'm finding that most companies in the area that sell shutters won't come out to install shutters not purchased from them, so I'm looking for a handyman now with insurance.

Here's a pic of the set on the bonus room:

Thanks,

Andy

Old 07-26-22, 01:41 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,564 Votes on 1,406 Posts
Do what you are doing and get prices from others and pick the one you like. You'll just have to pay the going rate for your area. We don't know where you are located so saying if a price is good or bad is not much more than a guess. I have a network of handymen and could get it done for considerably less but I'm giving these people regular work so it's a different situation.

Getting a handyman with insurance or workers comp. will make your search more difficult. It will be more difficult still if you want proof (certificate) of insurance.

Old 07-26-22, 03:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,528 Votes on 1,372 Posts
You need to ask the handyman that you call what their minimum charge is. Because it will take longer for them to drive there than it will take put up the 3 pair of shutters. My guess is a minimum charge might be $200. (If their rate is $75 /hr). But you might find a nice old guy who might do it for less. Ask at lumberyards or hardware stores if they know any local handymen.

This is probably a 20 minute job unless there are bushes to wrestle.

Old 08-10-22, 05:26 PM
H
Well, no handyman seems to want to call me back, so I guess I'll be doing these myself. I feel better about doing the pair up high after watching some videos on how to position the ladder, raising it/lowering it and thinking about how to lower the old ones and raise the new ones. I'll just take my time as I go.

Thanks for you advice.

Old 08-10-22, 07:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 595 Votes on 511 Posts
If you don't feel comfortable on a ladder you might want to think about renting a lift. As long as your driveway doesn't have too steep of a slope it should work fine. The other option would be to rent a boom lift, which is self-leveling. Either way, you will need something to pull it home with.

Old 08-11-22, 02:27 AM
Received 950 Votes on 862 Posts
All I can say is having a really good ladder is the key.

Just build a garage this summer and came across a very nice 10' step ladder for only $60. It was worth every penny, working on the trusses, the roof, decking, shingles, soffits, facia trim, it was so much safer than that flimsy 8' ladder I had.

Got to have the right tools for those DIY projects!

Old 08-11-22, 08:19 AM
H
@Tolyn

I had given thought to doing that, but I think I'll be ok with the ladder. It's just going to be a little tricky getting the first two holes drilled and screws in. That's the hairiest part for me (since I'll have no hands on the ladder for a minute or two). I have a nice, heavy fiberglass ladder (by Werner), so it's solid. I'll update when the job is done, but it won't be until October when things cool down here.

Old 08-11-22, 09:05 AM
Received 950 Votes on 862 Posts
Get somebody up there at the window to help hold them in place!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: