Gable End HVAC Access Idea

Old 09-30-22, 12:46 PM
K
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gable End HVAC Access Idea

Not sure the best place to post this? Framing, Hvac, Exterior...

Residing our house which involves removing the old vinyl, some nasty foil faced 'Poly' foam insulation, and the old lap masonite siding. Lots of sheathing and framing repair under windows.
Going back with 1" xps, house wrap, and vinyl.

Cape cod style house with the upstairs air handler (heat pump) in the attic.
Two end vents.
There is an attic access hole in closet that is 21" x 21" and what I assume they used to get the current air handler up there.
Gable vent pictured is 26"x21". It will be covered with the pvc vent pictured.
The two upper sheets and the scrap piece of blue foam are covering a window so there is a header under the scrap piece (again, gable but did want to mention the header being there)
Here is my question:
Should I frame in a big removeable triangle there? The gable vent would be framed inside that. The blue foam would have taped seams matching the removeable triangle but the tyvek and siding would go over it like it wasn't there.

Thought being that in the future when having to replace the air handler the siding could be removed, tyvek cut, and triangle removed (with the gable vent attached to it), giving an access hole almost the same height and width dimensions as the attic.

Too gimmicky?

Old 09-30-22, 02:06 PM
K
The correct answer is likely to enlarge the closet access whenever the need arises. That will be a bit tricky since the chimney is right by the access so there is already some ceiling joist distribution going on there but no doubt something could be done.

What's the name for the 'header' that distributes the load in a ceiling or floor? Drawing a blank and it's bugging me.

Old 09-30-22, 06:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,169 Likes on 2,846 Posts
Too gimmicky?
No but how would you get the air handler up there.... a crane... a skyhook ?

Are you referring to a joist ?
A plate ?
A sill ?

Old 09-30-22, 08:11 PM
K
Thanks
If I work as slow as my wife says I do, the scaffolding will probably still be there!
I was thinking the scaffolding would be the answer to how to get it up there though. Or even a rented scissor lift.

I am just on the fence as to whether it's worth it or not. Wouldn't be a ton of effort and would made it easier to slide some ripped 3/4 plywood over the ceiling joists for wallboards. I suspect when this R22 system leaks/gives up the ghost I will go to the Mitsubishi minisplit ducted air handler or similar for what it's worth. So keep the existing ductwork.

As for the other question that's just for my own curiosity - I am talking about if you were to cut a big crawlspace access hole that spanned two joist bays. The board that goes perpendicular and the cust joist hangs on. That board. So the two non-joist sides of the boxed opening.

Old 09-30-22, 11:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,169 Likes on 2,846 Posts
That would be called a header.......

Old 10-01-22, 07:25 AM
K
Thanks. I was thinking there would be another name for it when in a horizontal structure vs vertical.

Old 10-11-22, 09:19 AM
K
For closure...
Went ahead and did the enlarged opening since I was there. Probably a lot more work and definitely more expense than really needed for something with very minimal usage.

Cut and framed out the opening, leaving an 1.5" of the framing exposed on all sides. When making the door, I left a lip of sheathing around the outside so it presses against this 1.5" as a stop so it is forced to sit flush.

Used a heavy horse trailer piano hinge and drilled holes in it. The 'door' is already pretty heavy and once I add the PVC vent, it will get even more so.
Used barrel hinges to pull it tight and lock it.

Taped all seams, flashed the hinge area, and have since covered in housewrap awaiting the vent installation and siding.
Now I just need to print out instructions and stick it up on the air handler

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: