updraft carb

Old 07-18-09, 03:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
updraft carb

I have a 1953 ford jubilee with an updraft carburetor. Fuel flows fine to the carb [and it fills up] but it won't go from there to the motor. I've taken the carb off twice and cleaned it and it looks fine. The tractor will start if you spray ether or gas in the carb but quits as soon as that fuel is burned.

Anyone have any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-09, 05:08 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I'm driving a 1955 Ford 640, with probably the same carb. When this happened to me, I rapped on the bowl with the back of a pair of pliers and it started just fine. My assumption was the float was stuck in the up position, cutting off the fuel to the bowl. Once jarred, it fell and filled up. It only happens occasionally, so as long as that works, I won't pull the carb.
One question, how do you know it's filling up the carb bowl? Do you pull it? If so, that's a different ball game.

Old 07-18-09, 06:17 AM
Group Moderator
I know nothing about your carb but I am assuming it is similar to most simple bowl carbs. So I'm just throwing out guesses.

Is the bowl full of fuel when you remove it? I have seen the float valve stick on small engines when the seat or needle are worn.

Are you sure the jets and internal passages are clear? I have seen really old carbs corrode so that soaking and spraying will not clear the jets since it is corroded metal instead of varnish or old fuel causing the clogg.

Old 07-18-09, 12:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I replaced the carb a few years ago with a new exact replacement. When you pull the carb the bowl is full of fuel. I've taken it apart and everything looks ok and the carb cleaner sprays thru all the little holes. I don't think the float is sticking but it's hard to tell once assembled. The pin that holds the float in place doesn't have much clearance on each side - I might try shorting it a hair...... but if the bowl is full of fuel, the float sticking shouldn't stop the motor from getting fuel - right?

I'm fixin' to go out of town for a few days and some of my driveway has slid out and down the hard road about 50' and I'd like to retrieve it before the county comes and hauls it off

Old 07-20-09, 09:31 AM
Group Moderator
The float can stick in the up/closed position stopping more fuel from entering the bowl. Even though there is some in there it might not be enough for it to run. With the bowl off gently push the float up untill you feel the needle seat. Then let go. The float and valve drop back down (open) without any "sticking".

Old 07-23-09, 05:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I hope to take the carb back off again later today and will double/triple check everything. The county has already come and gone [with my gravel] but they did leave a 6"-12" ridge where my driveway meets the road

Old 07-23-09, 02:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
can't catch a break

I ordered a new gasket set prior to going to the beach, it came yesterday. Well I took the carb back off, made sure everything was clean, polished what moving parts I could with oil and an emery cloth and was ready to reassemble when I found out they sent me the wrong gasket set

Larry, apparently we do have the same carb. They changed carbs in 1958. I ordered an EAF9502 and they shipped an EAE9502. They said they'll ship the correct gaskets in the AM so I guess my tractor is on hold until monday

Old 07-23-09, 04:18 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Oooh, rats. I know how it is for the tractor to be down. I used to drive an old 8-n on my cattle farm. No brakes. I had the rivet-on shoes in the barn hanging on a nail. I just couldn't keep the tractor down long enough to do a brake job. Every day, hauling hay, digging post holes, cultivating garden, cutting fields, spreading lime....on and on.

Old 07-23-09, 04:51 PM
Group Moderator
It never fails. When a piece of equipment is down something comes up and you could really use it.