Barn door track

Old 09-25-09, 06:14 AM
Barn door track

I have a tobacco shed which I replaced the old siding with red metal several years ago. I now want to add sliding doors on tracks with metal siding to match. But how to add the tracks on the outside of the existing siding? The siding is not smooth but has 5-6 "ribs" on each 36" vertical section. I know this will be heavy but am able to reinforce properly on the inside.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-09, 06:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums Paul!

Don't know if this is the best way but what I would do would be to insert wood [maybe paint it 1st] in the flat part of the metal panel to bring it out to match the ribs.

Old 09-25-09, 06:15 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
My shop has two sliding doors on tracks. The building is a metal one and the doors are framed with 2x6's flat and the metal screwed to the 2x6's. The trolleys are drilled through the lumber and are adjustable. It has secure end latches as well as a center latch. It has a drip cap over the track to keep water from sheeting down into the building. Not sure if that is what you mean.
I'll be glad to take some pix and post them for you to show how it is constructed once this rain quits and it gets daylight. Just let us know.

Old 09-26-09, 03:27 AM
Thanks and the method you described is the way I have constructed my other doors. But an other poster suggested cutting treated lumber to fit between the existing metal ribs on the shed to form a base for my new track. This sounds pretty good. Thanks for responding.

Old 09-26-09, 05:30 AM
Doors

I would cut away the metal siding where the track mounts, fabricate a drip cap to go under the remaining metal and over the track to protect from weather, then attach framing to shim the track out to let the door clear the siding when it opens. Just my 2 cents. Good luck with your project.