Automatic Chick waterer.

Old 09-14-10, 03:55 PM
Smile Automatic Chick waterer.

We have 7 layers and now have 50 Chicks about 2 weeks old. They are only going to be Six weeks old though.

I made a Feeder out of a Five gal bucket. It's working fine so far. I wont have to feed till next week some time.

The water is a problem though. At two weeks they are going through Two gallons in a few hours.

I have to leave for a few days in their last week of life. I want to make up some kind of Cheap DIY watering system for the Chicks so the Wife wont have to carry water.

Weather wont be a problem. No freezing here till later on this winter.

I don't want nipples etc, just some way to keep the water at a level for them.Any hints or photos out there.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-10, 06:27 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Chicks need daily care and cleaning of their equipment. You can't allow them to be alone for too long as they will defecate in their water and food and become septic. I can't imagine a 5 gallon bucket feeder.....seems a little deep for them to jump up and into. How do they get out?
Taking care of them is half the fun of raising them. Buy a feeder and waterer set up from a feed store and change both often.
What do you consider their last week of life? What will you do with them after that time frame arrives?

Old 09-14-10, 11:05 PM
"What will you do with them after that time frame arrives? "

LOL, poor Chandler...
Down on the Farm, and anywhere else you raise Chicks the end result is Table Fare.
They go into the Freezer at six weeks. Five weeks for smaller birds. Those are Fryer's and Broilers. Then if you want big fat Stewing hens you let them go another month or so.
They get so big their legs cannot hold them and they squat. Then you have to keep the Food and water low to the ground and handy to them. You might as well put those old Stewers in a Cage with Water on one side and food on the other side.

My vision of a self watering device for Chicks is something like a 5 Gal bucket.
Sit that on a big Dish affair. Shallow, Narrow, Wire fence grid to keep them out of it.

Put the dish up on blocks or Bricks so they can just get thier little heads down through the grid to the water.

Set up some sort of Re-fill process to keep water in the Bucket. That's the part I was hoping somebody had a DIY solution.

The bottom of the bucket has two small leak holes that keep the dish full without letting all the water out.

So far, that is exactly what the Commercial Waterers have.
I'm going to put a skirt around my Waterer to keep the Chicks from Pooping in the water.

To solve the refill problem. A toilet bowl float mounted inside the bucket that would let water in from the Hose would do the trick.
It's all sealed so NO AIR could get in to any of the parts except for those two small holes at the bottom of the bucket.

PS: I thought I'd made my feeder wrong. Gap too small to let more feed into the dish.
Nope! I went down to check em' last night and they've learned to lean over and dig it out of the gap. No problem feeding a hungry bird. If the food is there, they'll handle it.

Old 09-15-10, 09:04 AM
I own a hatchery here in TN and what you want to use is a drink cup that is gravity fed by a 5 gal bucket or bigger. We use them here with 55gal barrels. They can not get in them and they alway dispense fresh water. Broilers make the biggest mess as they grow and are trouble to keep clean. If interested in the cups PM me.

Old 09-15-10, 02:56 PM
Thanks Todrut.
I have this Waterer given to me for my Grown Chickens. I cant seem to adjust it though. Either nothing comes out or it continues to drip.

Do you know anything about the adjustment?
Do you turn the water on full force or just slightly?

I will PM you about those cups, but not tonite.
Dick.

Old 09-15-10, 03:32 PM
Is that on the ground? That is a hanging waterer, if not hanging it will continue to run.

Old 09-15-10, 04:38 PM
Here's the waterer, and the Chicks are down on the ground at Two weeks with a couple of 60 Watt bulbs inside that little Cubby Coop I made for them. It's warm in there.

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...ftheground.jpg

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...osleepwith.jpg

Old 09-15-10, 07:30 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Gotcha. You have broilers. We have free range egg laying Pilgrim Rocks. We use the hanging waterers and have a heated one for winter time use. The food we use a gravity feed galvanized tube type feeder. Our chickens go on for more than 2 years, so I was just wondering what you did with the chicks. Ours can't even find their butts at 14 weeks, much less protect themselves.

Old 09-15-10, 08:33 PM
In Alaska I had Chickens for laying. Several different kinds. I never got a fertile egg or a sitter. I had a nice big Handsom Rooster but He was just noisey!

My Banty's on the other hand were prolific producers.
I had Ducks and Rabbits too.

But the dumbest thing on this earth is a Turkey.
Too dumb to get in out of the rain. So dumb they would fly up the side of the house to peck at a spot on the wall.
Unbelievable.
Stampede at a thought of a ghost. All of them ran headlong, and rammed into the house when a car would pass out on the road.

I brought them home in the spring, kept them in the house in a big box.
Soon I had to combine the boxes.

I put the Turkeys in with the Rhode Island Red Chicks.
The Chicks attacked those Turkeys. I had to move the Turkeys in with the Ducks.

The Ducks slept on the water bowl. The Turkeys got in there with the Ducks and two of them Drowned before I could stop it. Jeemeny, Born Dumb and had all the Smarts bred out of them.
They were Bronze Backs. Their only salvation was they were good eating.

I also had some White Chickens called "Sex Links". Huge Chickens. Meant to be Butcherd at Six weeks because by that time they were as big as the Turkeys and none of them could walk much at all. Thier legs just couldnt hold them up. Lots of good meat on them too.