Tractor lift problems

Old 08-10-11, 03:34 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Tractor lift problems

1955 Ford 640. Winter is coming and when it is cold I have a bear of a time getting the lift to actuate. Summer it's fine. I'd hate to think it is the pump, and put that out of my mind. Any ideas as to how to thwart this in the coming winter? Fluid change, different weight fluid in winter? Thanks.

Larry

Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-11, 06:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Larry I know your tractor shares a lot of the same parts as my NAA but I don't know how close the hydraulic systems are. Mine holds 2 gallons of hydraulic fluid and the manual says it should be changed every 600 miles. I don't know if that still holds true with newer fluid but if you don't remember the last time you changed the fluid - I'd start there. I assume your system is like mine and doesn't have any filters ??

Is your lift just slow in getting started? Mine is sluggish when I first crank it up in cold weather but after a few minutes, it works normally. It always seems to take longer for the front bucket to work than the rear lift. I don't know if it's more weight or just a longer distance for the fluid.

Old 08-11-11, 03:25 AM
I think I will try the fluid change, since it was probably changed last in 1968 In cold wx it just sits there with my scrape blade on the ground it seems forever. Not sluggish, just not moving. If I let it all warm up for an hour or so, it will begin to work normally, but when I need it, I don't want to have to let it run for an hour to get the lift to work.
I'll let you know how it goes with the fluid change. Hey, may as well change the oil since I'll be getting dirty anyway, huh?

Old 08-11-11, 05:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The hydraulics on my NAA take a minute or less to start working in warm weather but not more than 5 minutes in cold weather. How long does yours take in warm weather?

NAA's came from the factory with vane pump but many were replaced with a piston pump when the vane pump wore out. Mine has the piston pump. Piston pumps were standard on the later built tractors but I don't know what year they started. I think starting with a fluid change would be good but it almost sounds like a weak pump. They say the piston pumps are fairly easy to work on.

Old 08-11-11, 01:49 PM
Like right now, I get immediate action with the lever...no waiting. My last tractor was a 42 9N, but no problems with it, ever. Needed brakes. Had to rivet shoes on the blanks. Shoes were in the barn for years. Never could get down time to do it. Used it nearly every day for something. I just didn't like the brakes on opposite sides. The 8N took care of it.
Yeah, I am a'fearin a bad pump, but will keep my hopes up. Let you know.

Old 08-11-11, 03:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If the lift is responsive in warm weather, maybe a fluid change will help - we can hope
Your not expecting cold weather any time soon are you?

Old 08-11-11, 04:23 PM
Didn't know there was a winter planned, but we'll see . Yeah, maybe Saturday, I'll pull the fluids.

Old 08-14-11, 02:59 PM
Sluggish Lift

Larry, I think the cold temperatures is the problem. Seems to me a hydraulic fluid heater similar the what you have in your diesel truck should work. Just my 2 cents.

Old 08-14-11, 05:28 PM
Ooooh, and you can buy the magnetic ones that stick to the casing!! I'll still change the fluid, but that's a great idea. Was gonna change it this weekend, but forgot wifey was off, too, so all my manly plans will have to wait until NEXT weekend. Tractor Supply over in Murphy, NC.

Old 08-21-11, 06:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Last winter my Ford New Holland (compact with bucket) would barely move. When I finally removed the hydraulic filter, I found that gasket material from somewhere else had broken off and plugged the ports in the filter. Changed filter, not the oil, and I’m back to normal, hot or cold weather. After talking to a mechanic it seems that there is a gasket in the rear that is a full gasket, but only the bottom half-round is used. The remainder protrudes and apparently disintegrated. It was a simple fix to a problem that confounded us diy’ers. Hoping yours is simple fix, too.

Old 01-25-12, 12:46 PM
If you have water in your fluid and it freezes you can have all kinds of problems.

Old 01-25-12, 03:04 PM
Yeah, Michael, I thought about that, too. I appreciate bugman's comments regarding the gasket. Whether or not it was used in the 640 back in 1955 or not is questionable, and since I don't have a filter, per se, changing the fluid would be my best bet.

Old 01-25-12, 03:10 PM
It may not have a filter but maybe there is a pickup screen on the end of the tube. Im not familiar with that tractor so I cant be of much help.