4500john deere wont start

Old 03-07-12, 02:51 PM
4500john deere wont start

tractor wont start we hooked up jumper cables to battery wouldnt start hooked cables up to starter it starts whats the problem

Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-12, 03:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums!
I don't know anything about JDs [I'm a ford guy ] but I'd start with the cable from the battery or solenoid to the starter. Clean both ends to make sure you have a good connection.

Old 03-07-12, 07:33 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I have had the exact same problem on my Ford 640. Cleaned the cable on the battery, and shined the one up on the starter, it worked just fine. JD, they're green, right, Mark??

Old 03-08-12, 04:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Personally I think the green tractors are overpriced....... and the fords are in my price range
I have a running 'argument' with my 11 yr old grandson - he's always telling me that JDs are better than ford tractors. My jubilee is the first tractor he was ever on and the only tractor he's ever drove. Back when he was still in diapers he'd crawl up in the seat and put one hand on the steering wheel and pat the center nut with his other hand and holler 'beep beep'

Old 03-08-12, 05:27 AM
Group Moderator
Are you hearing the usual relay clicks when you turn the tractor on? Does the starter solenoid click? If the starter solenoid or starter don't sound like they are even trying to start the engine usually it's something simple and stupid.

First go through all the operator controls to insure they are in the proper position. Modern tractors have numerous safety switches and interlocks and John Deere is one of the most thorough (worst) in that respect. I swear they are going to put a safety switch on the cup holder some day to turn off the tractor when you reach for your drink. Look at every control even those seldom used ones beside the seat. It often happens to me when I bump the PTO selector (the one that determines if the mid or rear pto is engages). If it's slightly out of the disengaged position the tractor will not start.

How were you using the tractor before the problem started? If you were clearing brush or driving through sticks or bushes I would check all the electrical connections accessible from below and the sides. A stick jabbing up and catching a wire can pull a connector loose or break a wire.

Those two things a control out of position and something unhooked while previously working have been the cause of all but one of my "it won't start" problems. Once it turned out to be a bad battery but every other time it's something simple.