cheap points or distributor?

Old 11-21-18, 12:23 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
cheap points or distributor?

My tractor didn't want to start this morning and when I checked the points they were completely closed up. I had to open them up all the way to get close to the spec'd .025 gap. What is happening is the little rubbing block that runs over the lobes keeps wearing down to just about nothing. The rubbing block on the points that came with the distributor broke off within an hour or two. This is the second set that has worn down - and I just installed this distributor back in early spring. Is it possible for the distributor shaft/lobe to put extreme wear on the points? Or are all the points sold today junk? Even the points NAPA sells are from Mexico.

Old 11-21-18, 12:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
The points sold today are probably not of a greater quality then they used to be.
Are you putting grease on the lobes of the distributor ?

Old 11-21-18, 01:38 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 67 Upvotes on 52 Posts
You need to put a good size dab of grease on the back side of the rubbing block, point sets used to come with a capsule of grease in the box but not anymore.

Old 11-21-18, 01:50 PM
A
Received 73 Upvotes on 66 Posts
You're straining my memory a bit here Mark, and I sold my 8N a few years ago so can't walk out and look at it, but I'm thinking that the dwell angle could possibly be a factor. Typically dwell would affect the length of time that the points are closed, and this is nothing that I recall ever considering, not to mention that dwell would generally be a non-factor on that old girl, but if the points are positioned one way or the other too far is seems possible that the lobes could be sort of slamming into the side of the block on the points rather than riding under it like they should.

Old 11-21-18, 02:18 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I lube the block when it comes with points, some do and some don't. The NAPA ones usually have the little capsule. I didn't think the dwell was adjustable on a ford ?? I forgot to mention my tractor is a 1953 NAA [golden jubilee] With the old original distributor I always got 1-2 yrs out of a set of points. I suppose the points could be opening/closing too hard but what would be the fix?

Old 01-15-19, 08:40 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ballast Resistor

If the wiring is not original make sure there is a ballast resistor in the wire going to the points. Old cars had them on the firewall and if it was bypassed it would melt the points after a short while of running. Just my experience.

Old 01-15-19, 09:01 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I thought ford did away with the ballast when they went to the overhead valve engines ??
Anyway, my points aren't burning up but rather the little plastic piece that runs over the lobe is wearing down.

Old 01-15-19, 01:17 PM
A
Received 112 Upvotes on 97 Posts
I think this is normal you may find the points with a fiber block to last longer than plastic if you can find them but having to re gap them occasionally is not uncommon as the block wears they do close up, would probably just keep a spare set of points and condensor on hand for when you need them I would not spend a lot on a wear item like this seems most parts stores want a lot for them now might look at tractor places like yesterdays tractor.

Old 01-15-19, 01:28 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I think that's it, the new ones are plastic versus the fiber they used to use. I'm accustomed to resetting points, just not with every third use! .... and I rarely use my tractor more than a few hrs at a time.

Old 01-16-19, 05:02 AM
B
Received 292 Upvotes on 259 Posts
Have you researched an electronic ignition conversion?

Old 01-16-19, 05:04 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Just a little, if I remember correctly it wasn't cheap ..... but it's been several yrs since I looked at into it.

Old 01-16-19, 12:38 PM
A
Received 112 Upvotes on 97 Posts
really shouldnt have to adjust them that much maybe a couple times a year would look at the screws maybe they are not holding them secure.
while you have more maintence with points and condensor the plus side is you can usually spend a few minutes adjusting them or filing them and can always get the engine running when electronic ignition does quit you need an expensive part to replace.

Old 01-16-19, 02:02 PM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
I that the original distributor shaft? Could be worn out and causing a wobble and making for excessive ware.

Old 01-16-19, 02:25 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
The distributor is less than a yr old. It's an aftermarket distributor, a rebuilt factory distributor was $65 more if I remember correctly. The point contacts are not wearing out, it's the plastic block that is wearing down closing up the points. The points screw down nice and tight. This last set of points seem to be doing the best but I doubt they have one more adjustment left in them. I think Alan hit the nail on the head - the older points had a fiber block but all the ones I've bought lately have a plastic block.

Old 01-17-19, 12:03 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
I'd be playing around with different things. Forget that light grease (as I remember) that comes with them and use some synthetic disc brake stuff. When I was a hotrodder, we sometimes had point bounce at higher rpm. Switching to brands like ACCEL or similar, the spring was much stronger to keep it riding on the lobes and their grease was way heavier(?) than the stock stuff. We couldn't afford fancy MSD black boxes back then.

Is there any way you could DECREASE the tension on the leaf spring? I imagine at the really low RPMs of your engine, it wouldn't need much.

Old 01-17-19, 03:09 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Is there any way you could DECREASE the tension on the leaf spring?
How would you go about doing that?

Back when points were more commonplace I always bought blue streak points but apparently they no longer sell points for anything other than motorcycles. Sometimes I can get Bosch points at NAPA but often all they have is the Mexican or Asian points everyone else sells

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: