Flushing Radiator

Old 11-12-22, 11:56 AM
D
Group Moderator
Received 170 Likes on 138 Posts
Flushing Radiator

[I put this here because I am specifically working on my tractor. But can apply to cars & trucks to I suppose.]

As per my last thread here, I am replacing a water pump on my Kubota tractor.
Not sure when the radiator was last flushed so, while I am at it, I thought I'd give'er a flush.

So the question here is: "to flush or not to flush?" We used to flush radiators back in the 70's but, you know, things change. This is 2022.
If we flush, do we use a product for radiator flush or do we just flush with water?

I've had people in the past say, if you flush with a "product" designed to remove the gunk, it will sometimes remove stuff you don't intend to remove. It may damage the radiator or it may clean too deep & open a place that will start a leak. (Personally, to me, that'd be a good thing. I rather find it now than later. But... I dont know.)

Just that so much has changed.
1) Dont flush
2) Flush with water only
3) Flush with a product designed to flush radiators
4) I have another opinion

What do you say? Opinions?

Old 11-12-22, 03:29 PM
Received 996 Likes on 905 Posts
Modern coolant protects for a very long time, that would be the first thing to check, what is the recommended change interval.

On cars the interval is like 150K so for most folks that is never! I think a water flush is sufficient!

Old 11-12-22, 08:17 PM
D
Group Moderator
Owners manual says every 2 years. But Since I am in a situation where I need to (basically) empty the system anyway, I wanted to go ahead & flush it now.
The last time I know for sure that this system was flushed was 2015. I am pretty sure it was flushed in something like 2019. I have the invoice from 2015, but not the service invoice from 2019 (or so).
So, based on that, its time anyway.

Old 11-13-22, 05:11 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 698 Likes on 616 Posts
I've always bought a bottle of whatever radiator flush and run it for 10-45 minutes and then flush well with water ..... but then I am old school. Some of the kids just flush with water and then refill with anit-freeze. What does the current coolant look like?

Old 11-13-22, 06:09 AM
D
Group Moderator
Coolant looks clean as far as I can tell just by looking into the cap. I havent drained it yet.
I agree also that we used to use radiator flush but I just wanted to make sure that something hadn't changed in 30 - 40 years & with new radiators, aluminum blocks now days, etc (of course on the tractor it's not aluminum)... just how things have changed & the fact that what we used to do aint ok anymore (like putting motor oil in the power steering pump in emergencies.. lol)
I'm just trying to get some opinions before I do much of anything to this newer stuff.

Old 11-13-22, 06:27 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 698 Likes on 616 Posts
If the coolant looks decent I'd feel better about not flushing it with a radiator cleaner.

Old 11-13-22, 04:58 PM
Received 996 Likes on 905 Posts
If the coolant looks decent
Cant tell from the looks, get a coolant tester, they are only $5.

If the coolant is reading good/safe then you have nothing to worry about as it has/is doing it's job!

Old 11-13-22, 05:38 PM
A
Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts
if it looks clean and bright in color, I probably would not flush but its really up to you in the end the coolant can look really bad and still offer freeze protection so not sure what a tester is going to do for you if the manufacturer suggest every 2 years which seems excessive would probably at least add new coolant.

The following users liked this post:

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: