Dual Output Sensors

Old 05-05-24, 03:05 PM
D
Group Moderator
Received 277 Upvotes on 218 Posts
Dual Output Sensors

Approximately 2006 Kubota L4400 compact utility tractor.

I am considering replacing single output oil pressure, water temp sensors (& Alt/Amp) with dual output so I can have the original/factory warning lights in the instrument cluster, PLUS manual or digital gauges mounted.
So I searched the internet to see if a dual output sensor even exists. Indeed there is such a thing (I didn't search for my application specifically. Just generic search). There were several so I am assuming this is not unusual, although it doesn't mean it's a good idea. Anyone ever done this?

Back in the 70's when I piddled with old cars, we just unhooked the lights & replaced with/or added gauges. Never tried a dual light/gauge system.

Old 05-05-24, 03:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,057 Upvotes on 3,640 Posts
A standard sender is a switch..... on or off...... open or closed.
You could use a diode to isolate multiple audibles or indicators.

A gauge typically relies on a variable resistance sender.
I have never heard of using a switched device and gauge on one sender.

Old 05-05-24, 04:32 PM
D
Group Moderator
Received 277 Upvotes on 218 Posts
Ok, correct. I wasn't considering that aspect of it. What I was looking at online was for either 2 lights or 2 gauges. Not both. It cant send both variable temp or oil pressures for gauges AND on/off which would be for a light to come on at a certain setting. I haven't researched it further but as you pointed out, its probably not possible to have both.

Thanks for your advice. I'll go back to sleep now... lol

Old 05-05-24, 06:45 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,057 Upvotes on 3,640 Posts
We're always thinking on our feet.

Get creative.... make tees.

Old 05-05-24, 07:05 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 124 Upvotes on 107 Posts
really just need to T or hook the other sensor in another spot most engines have multiple spots for coolant sensors that likely just have a plug in them now if there not being used same with oil pressure many may have plugs in the oil ports that another sensor could be installed and if not then you always have the option of adding a T or Y so you can keep the original sensor plus have an additional.

Old 05-06-24, 01:52 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 863 Upvotes on 755 Posts
Yrs ago I used a T on a gauge and it wasn't real accurate. I don't know if that was a me problem or an overall issue. They sell gauges that flash when the reading reaches or drops to a certain point so that might also be an option.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: