Turtle basking platform

Old 06-01-24, 11:09 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Turtle basking platform

We have a 100í round pond and have turtles. Iím trying to figure out how to make a floating basking dock for them. Anyone have any ideas?

Old 06-01-24, 01:41 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,270 Upvotes on 2,022 Posts
I currently have one from a cedar tree. One end of the tree is on shore while the other is submerged in the water. Since it's at a shallow angle the turtles can easily climb on it and sun.

I built another one using a floating dock pontoon. The pontoon is a foam filled black poly plastic rectangle. I built a small deck on top with decking on all sides angling down. It worked but was anything but natural looking.

You just need something like a ramp sloping up out of the water so the turtles can easily climb out. And, you want space for the turtles to sun. Like my cedar log, a tree trunk or something sitting on shore laying in the pond is simplest and can appear very natural. You can also build anything that floats and has a flat spot and ramp. Ramps need to be rough as they quickly get covered by slime in the water so the turtles need good traction. Natural bark, rough chainsaw scratching, a roofing shingle nailed to a board all provide good traction.

Old 06-01-24, 02:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 899 Upvotes on 760 Posts
I made one using 1 1/2" XPS foam and outdoor carpeting. I pretty much followed this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mm1EtQRE81c&t=343s The only change I made is I connected the rope to the middle of the raft. After putting it in our pond there were turtles on it within 10 mins! So we ended up making another one. We also have added a log or two just for fun.

Last edited by Tolyn Ironhand; 06-02-24 at 08:06 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: