Woolie paint roller

Old 04-15-04, 09:53 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Woolie paint roller

Has anyone tried The Woolie? it's a split paint roller (like 2 small rollers spaced about an inch apart on one handle) that comes with a paint tray that's also divided. you use a different color, or 2 shades of the same color, at the same time - one on each side of the tray. you roll it on the wall in a zig-zaggy haphazard way to sort of overlap & blend the colors together. the more you roll, the more blended & soft the colors meld together, so you can control the end result. it came with a video and it looked pretty easy to do.

just wondered if anyone's tried it, what colors they combined, & if they were happy with the results.

thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-04, 03:43 PM
Seen it, never test drove it though.

Old 04-16-04, 07:42 PM
MrsFauxster
Visiting Guest
Oh yes!

I love the woolie! It's a great little tool, and easy to use. Make sure you don't roll too much though-your colors will just blend together tatally and turn one shade.

We use the big lambs wool tool for glazing and for the color meshing technique- boy-oh-boy talk about fast and beautiful!

"A tool is only as effective as the person holding it."

Old 04-22-04, 07:44 AM
Sakscat1
Visiting Guest
Wink

My Dh and I have used the Woolie hand held tool and it is wonderful. We bought the kit that HD sold with a video. It came with the full size peice and the smaller one to make clouds/corners- we called the Baby Woolie. It is really great for faux finishes.

I have never used the "roller" woolie.

Old 05-03-04, 03:19 PM
Thumbs up Project Update!

just to let everyone know ~ i painted our bedroom with the Woolie yesterday and it turned out Great! used 2 shades of sagey green, only one shade apart (one shade in between) because i didn't want too much contrast, and it really looks good! very easy to use - just like it's shown in the video. spent tons of time on prep work - taping and cutting in at the ceiling line (we have the much-hated "popcorn" ceiling - ugh), but the actual Woolie work went very quickly. had to use the "Little Woolie" for the small spaces in between the door openings & ceiling, where the Woolie wouldn't fit, but it turned out good as well.

i highly recommend this product. it would've taken twice as long to hand sponge the same effect. 2 thumbs up!

Old 05-23-04, 04:37 PM
justVisiting
Visiting Guest
Question for Annette

How did you blend near the ceiling without smearing it? I have that popcorn style also...tape won't stick to it! Thanks

Old 05-24-04, 08:36 AM
good question! and not one you'll find answered anywhere in the instructional video or booklet!!!

what i did was: first i painted my ceiling. i got into the corners really well and even let it come down onto the wall a ways. then, before i got into the Woolie action, i "cut in" the top of the wall, where it meets the ceiling. i just did it freehand with a small brush that has a great chisel edge (it's actually a 1" artist's brush). i got an almost perfectly straight line of paint at the top & then i blended it down about 3" or so. i used a divided plate with both my light & dark colors separated. i just alternated each color & tried to sort of blend them haphazardly as i went, knowing that i'd be pretty much covering it all up with the roller later. but at least i'd have my straight line at the top & it wouldn't be a solid color.

i did use tape, though, around all the woodwork, so that i would be able to use the Little Woolie right up to those edges.

but for the ceiling, when i did need to use the Little Woolie, i held a piece of cardboard up against the ceiling and into the corner to protect the ceiling. i did have to go back & touch up a few little spots on the ceiling, but not many.

hope that helps!

Old 05-24-04, 07:50 PM
justVisiting
Visiting Guest
Yes, thank you!

Old 03-24-05, 04:28 PM
Lowe's Painter
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up It's Great

I've used the wooley a few times and loved the way it's turned out everytime. It's fun to use and add so much to a room. Have fun and don't be afraid of color. You'll be happy I'm sure of it.

Old 03-31-05, 02:58 PM
katiegirl
Visiting Guest
The woolie

i have tried to woolie and versus using the sponge i prefer the sponge..i didn't like the way the paint looked after drying when using the woolie..looks lilake you didn't blend your clolors

Old 04-01-05, 08:41 AM
katiegirl: if you would've kept rolling a little longer, your colors would've blended more. also, by using 2 colors that are only 1 or 2 shades apart on the paint chip card, you'll more easily achieve a more subtle, blended effect.

but the Woolie is made out of wool, so when it's wet with paint, it clumps up, leaving a certain amount of pattern. so with a sponge, yes you would be able to get an even more softly blended effect.

Old 04-01-05, 06:50 PM
No offense to the woolie fans, but I was less than impressed. If you are attempting a true faux look, the range of effects/colors is much greater with traditional tools. I found the woolie to give a rather muted muddy application, as opposed to a crisp contrast and or colorblending. With color blending, at least you still have your primary and secondary colors, with a blend of the colors where the paint was deliberately featherd/blended. With the woolie, I found, that you end up with lots of mud and some of the original color.

I will say that the woolie was much faster and required a lot less energy than traditional painting.

Old 10-29-06, 10:31 AM
Question touch ups for the woolie

Hi Everyone. I painted a room with the woolie with 2 paint colors with a little glaze added to one of the colors. I went back to touch up some spots that didn't look blended and after it dried, those spots stuck out like a sore thumb. Can anyone help me fix this without painting the whole wall again? Any tips would be MOST appreciated.
Debi

Old 10-30-06, 08:49 AM
the only way to touch up is to get out both paint colors in a divided plate or something & use the little handheld woolie. alternate the colors just like you did on the big wall. you'll have to be more artistic about it than with the big roller. pounce on a checkerboard of each color & blend them accordingly. stand back to see how it needs to look to blend with the surrounding area.

good luck.

(P.S. you DO know you weren't supposed to add glaze, right? it says right on the instructions to use 2 full strength paints, undiluted, no glaze, nothing. )

Old 10-30-06, 07:19 PM
Talking

Thanks Annette. I bought it so long ago, that I must have forgotten about the glaze. I think it's the glaze that is messing it all up. Bummer. Thanks anyhow. I do love the woolie!!
Debi