anyone used watercolor walls?

Old 06-21-04, 11:08 PM
gingersnapp
Visiting Guest
anyone used watercolor walls?

Hi all~ I am thinking of using a product called watercolorwalls that looks like a colorwashing type of process. Has anyone had experience with it or does anyone have suggestions for other similar products?

Thanks in advance

GS

Old 06-22-04, 11:05 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
i hadn't heard of it, but i checked out their website. it looks similar to any other ragging/sponging technique which uses a lighter/thinner color over a base color (2 step process), except that with WatercolorWalls, you're limited to those few color choices of theirs, which seems like a serious downside. i wouldn't want to be limited that way.

i've recently used a 1 step process to achieve the same results and was very pleased. i used The Woolie, which is a paint roller divided in 2. you use 2 different colors (one light, one dark) at the same time, blending them together on the wall. it makes sense to do it all at once and save half the time. to see examples, go to their website: www.woolie.com.

Old 06-22-04, 12:43 PM
gingersnapp
Visiting Guest
Thanks! Did you use the original one (square looking thing) or the double roller one?

GS

Old 06-22-04, 12:50 PM
i guess the double roller one. it was basically a regular paint roller (12" or so), but it was cut into 2 small rollers (6"). the paint tray was divided so that you could pour a different color paint into each side & they'd stay separated. then when you rolled the roller in the tray, you had a different color on each side of the roller. then you just start rolling on the wall all zigzaggy to get the colors to meld. the more you roll, the softer they blend together. i thought it was brilliant. and super easy. you still have to cut in first around all the trimwork & ceiling line though. and you MUST tape the woodwork. there's no getting away with just using a steady hand with this technique, because you've got to use the Little Woolie (a tiny woolie on a handle) to get up next to the edges & inside corners so the effect doesn't just stop a few inches away from these areas.

i've heard the Woolie "hand mit" works well, too, but i'd think that would be more tiresome!

Old 07-28-05, 07:45 PM
Liz (Lillis Mom
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up I used it.

I actually used that product in my family room and dining room and it was SO easy. My husband and I could not agree on a color so I chose to color wash so it wasnt a drastic change just a warm touch to our room.I chose the Curry color and HE LOVED IT. Thank goodness. It didnt take long and it was really easy and actually fun. Well I hope I helped. Let me know if you want I can send you before and after pictures.
watercolorwalls

Last edited by Liz (Lillis Mom; 07-28-05 at 07:49 PM. Reason: forgot to put in which product I was talking about.
Old 07-29-05, 05:24 AM
K
I've used the watercolor walls on a ceiling. Fab! BTW--color washing and sponging are NOT the same effect. Color washing is a transparent color wash over the base--sponging (or using the woolie) is applying a glaze over the paint randomly with open ground. Sponging, etc is more opaque than color washing. Definetely a different look and process.

Old 07-29-05, 08:45 AM
W
Smile

Hello,
you can achieve a colorwash, color rub, multi color blend, broken color effect, french wash, etc.. People have different names attached to the technique, "Colorwash", and can be accomplished with many different tools.
Colorwashing can also be achieved by thinning with just water for a thin wash or by adding a particular glaze to the paint, or by adding tints to transparent glazing mediums (scumble glazes) as opposed to adding acrylic paints to glazes with require binders and solids to cure. Using tools from cheesecloth, rags, brushes, round soft wash sponges, woolies, stipplers, lambs wool mitts,etc. Some people refer colorwashing as "rubbing" or "washing" walls. JMPO, as long as you don't see any evidence of the tool left behind, the colorwash technique is very nice, and as long as it is softly blended out and softly mottled together for a less abrupt look.
Good luck on your wall finish

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: