sandwash paint

Old 09-06-04, 05:18 PM
qattales
Visiting Guest
Smile sandwash paint

i was at home depot yesterday and saw the sandwash paint by behr and i think lauren calls it riverrock..i have a paint already mixed that i like the color that is by neither can i add sand to this paint and create this look?

thanks debra

Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-04, 10:58 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
it seems like i remember someone else writing in saying that they had tried to replicate that sand look by simply adding sand to paint, and they had horrid results. so i would tend to say, No. however, you can always try a small amount on a piece of scrap somethingorother & see what happens! but i'm predicting there's more to it than just regular old sand in paint!

good luck! (and let us know what happens!)

Old 09-20-04, 08:12 PM
I've heard the same thing, its not easily duplicated with just plain sand mixed in.

Old 09-24-04, 10:53 PM
qattales
Visiting Guest
seems like it would need some kind of stabilizer to keep the sand evenly distributed in the paint. i also read a forum where they had used the ralph lauren/river rock and had lots of problems brushing and rolling it on they ended up spraying it to get an even texture.. not sure the look is worth all the hassle.
debra

Old 09-25-04, 06:24 AM
they ended up spraying it to get an even texture
Yep, thats the best way.

Old 09-28-04, 01:31 PM
Mr. Anderson
Visiting Guest
It is more involved than just adding sand to the paint. RL's Riverrock has different size specs of something or another in it in two colors white and black. Behr uses a poly bead in theres and has black, white and clear. Spraying would be a good alternative but the specks would ruin a pump and the last time I read both the cans they didn't say anything about spraying just a roller and a brush.

Old 10-03-04, 01:42 PM
jdlusan
Visiting Guest
I would use behr's product. I have had good results. Never tried lauren. You are better off using this product than trying to add sand, you will not get the right finish that way.

Old 10-31-04, 02:54 AM
bamma
Visiting Guest
Use the paint that you have for a base coat. Then get the sand paint tinted to match, and you may then be able to get by with less of the expensive sand paint.

Old 08-05-06, 05:51 PM
argh... I am using that product and am really frustrated

I painted a coat underneath and it still won't cover well with 2 coats. I'm ready to drop from exhaustion, I did my upstairs hallway and down the stairs and it looks all blotchy. Ugh.

anybody have advice?

Old 08-06-06, 12:50 PM
Sand Finish

I haven't worked with a sand finish, however, I would like to comment on the Behr line of faux finishing paints. I don't care for them. I have used Faux Effects and found them to be easier to use. They have a website www.fauxeffects.com and classes are offered around the country, how widely available I can't say.

I would recommend sticking with the appropriate paint product rather than attempting to add sand, unless you are ready to experiment on practice boards and keep track of the mixture you attempt so you can reproduce it.

I use the faux effects AquaCreme and tint it with Fok Art Acrylic colors by Plaid - 2, 3 or 4 bottles depending on the project. I did my bathroom several years ago and it looks as good as it did when I did it.

If you are interested in how I apply it, let me know.

Also, Faux Effects has a product called SandStone which is probably like the sandwash you mentioned. It can be tinted with whatever color you want.

Faux Effects is not cheap but it seems to go alot further and stays workable longer. I have worked with Behr and AquaCreme and I wouldn't buy Behr again simply because I don't care for its workability - personal preference and not a slam against Behr.

Good luck with your project.

Marilyn

Old 08-06-06, 12:54 PM
thanks--I wound up doing something creative

since it wasn't even, I used random brush strokes similar to colorwashing to finish it up--I simply could not face doing a 4th coat at that point...

There is a company locally who makes paint and I LOVE them... they are Miller paints, and I think before I attempt colorwashing in my kitchen (I have the base coat, and need to get that done) I will go there and spend my money with them--you are right, the good stuff is more $$ but worth it, even on my budget!

Old 08-12-06, 06:55 AM
Cool sand paint

The look you acheive by trying to glaze over or with sand paint can be very difficult to keep consistant.I also recommend sandstone from aqua finishing we have used it many times it is very easy to work with and has many different applications.The product can be tinted and rolled on or can over glazed with aquacreme.I have also applied it to moldings to give the a plaster finish.We buy it from mirage studios in ny but you can also get it from dealers around the country.good luck

Old 08-12-06, 09:32 AM
I understand your choice of using a Behr product because of price or convenience, however they really is no substitute for quality and ease of use. In addition to the Aqua products, Adicolor makes an excellent sandstone product and they have a new one called Corkstone. There is also the Bella Sabbia which is a sandstone product offered exclusively through www.fauxbykathy.com I got to play with this recently at a convention and it was fantastic.

As with any finish, be sure to practice your application and finish on sample boards first.

Old 01-01-07, 07:29 AM
Cool sand wash streaks

Same problem here - I bought this paint because it could be rollered on without having to do ragging or sponging. I think I will try sponging on a 4th coat of sandwash to get rid of all the vertical stripes. I also wrote Behr with problem as hoping they will have an answer.

Originally Posted by peanutga11ery1 View Post
since it wasn't even, I used random brush strokes similar to colorwashing to finish it up--I simply could not face doing a 4th coat at that point...

There is a company locally who makes paint and I LOVE them... they are Miller paints, and I think before I attempt colorwashing in my kitchen (I have the base coat, and need to get that done) I will go there and spend my money with them--you are right, the good stuff is more $$ but worth it, even on my budget!