What is the product that turns tile into faux limestone?

Old 01-11-05, 06:47 PM
mysecondcloset
Visiting Guest
Question What is the product that turns tile into faux limestone?

I just viewed Debbie Travis' Painted House episode HDTPH-138, Very French Bed and Bath and marveled at how tile was transformed into faux limestone with a new product that was not named. It was not venician plaster. Two coats of a plaster of paris like substance were applied to scuffed up tile. The second coat had a colored tint mixed in. A straightedge and trowel were used to double-score the stone lines, the excess product was removed creating the stone lines. Once dry, alcohol was sponged on each square individually, creating a mottled look. A marine-type sealer was the final coat. This process was used everwhere there was tile, on the tub surround, the walls, even the floor.

Anyone know what this product is and where it can be purchased? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-05, 11:11 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
have you tried going to HGTV's website & asking them? i didn't see that episode. sorry! sounds neat, though!

Old 01-12-05, 12:08 PM
The show was number 130 and they do not tell how to do this on the web site. The show repeats today at 3:30 ET. I believe this is the last showing.

Old 01-16-05, 10:48 AM
Cindy in SD
Visiting Guest
Thinset?

I saw the Debbie Travis show, too, and wrote to their website to ask what the product was. So far, no reply. I'm sure there's some reason they don't tell on the air. I didn't really expect to hear back, but if I do, I'll post the info.

I would like to do this in my new guest room and am wondering if it could be done with thinset. I have a nice, dry, level slab to work on. It will have to be faux painted, of course, then sealed. I think I may try it out in our furnace room when I have time, and see if I can make it work. The floor in there isn't so nice, but I don't think I can damage it much.

Maybe I'll tint the thinset, then tape off the "grout joints" before I paint the "stone tiles". I'd like to give the "stones" a bit of a texture--not too much, but enough to make them look natural. I'm talking about cleavage planes like you would see on natural slate. Any suggestions as to how to do this?

Also, any suggestions as to how to do the faux painting would be appreciated. I think I want to go with a kind of medium to dark buff color.

Thanks,
Cindy in SD

Old 01-17-05, 11:00 AM
Cindy:

if you're talking about doing that on a floor, i'd repost your idea in the tile forum topic. i don't think thinset on it's own is durable enough for a flooring surface. i think it's just meant to be used under tile. so, to be sure, ask the tile guys before proceeding.

Old 01-18-05, 10:31 AM
BEKKI.L
Visiting Guest
I too am seeking information on the product that produces a faux limestone finish. I would like to transform the floor and tile countertop in a small bathroom. I am still searching the internet. Will let you know if I'm able to find the answer.

Old 01-19-05, 01:04 PM
Cricket-
Visiting Guest
me too

I watched the episode and recorded it. They were very careful not to mention the name of the product and the can was covered so the neame couldn't be read.

I sure would like to know what it is.

Cricket

Old 01-21-05, 10:09 AM
Cindy in SD
Visiting Guest
Reply from Debbie Travis

Hi, Guys.

I was surprised to find a reply from Barb at the Debbie Travis website in my e-mail this morning. She tells me the faux limestone product used on the show is no longer being manufactured, and suggested stucco instead. She said Debbie has used it often over (roughed up) wall tile with excellent results. Complete instructions are in Debbie Travis' Kitchens and Baths.

Unfortunately, she did not say whether using stucco would be appropriate on a floor surface. I wrote back to ask about this. In the mean time, does anybody else here know or have an educated guess? I would like to use this technique over a clean slab.

Thanks,
Cindy in SD

Old 01-21-05, 10:17 AM
post questions regarding using stucco or thinset on the floor in the Tile topic, in the Interior Home Improvements forum. the pro's there will be able to help you.

thanks!

Old 08-06-05, 10:09 AM
kevio
Visiting Guest
Skimstone

I found this product after searching for the one on Debbie's show.
http://skimstone.com
The one on Debbie's show looked better though.

Old 08-08-05, 10:49 AM
itsjustme
Visiting Guest
Debbie Travis - similar product

I too went searching for this product once I saw the Debbie Travis episode. That guy was from a school in Canada but they never mentioned the product.

A friend of mine went to The Finishing School and one of her sample boards has a limestone look to it. She said that they had used it on a floor with moderate traffic and it was perfectly fine. I mean to have her do a backsplash in my kitchen with the stuff and she said it would be fine used that way.

The only thing is, I believe you have to be a student of this faux school to order their products.

Old 08-18-05, 07:15 AM
This product will do what you are wanting however there will be a learning curve.
http://www.volterraproducts.com/tivstone.html

Old 10-05-05, 02:31 AM
diy addict
Visiting Guest
voltera products

I looked up the voltera products but there is no information on how to order the products. This product is exactly what I'm looking for but there are no distributors in California. Does anyone have any suggestions or know of a similar product available to the public?
diy addict

Old 02-05-06, 04:00 PM
faux limestone

I have done a bathroom in which I used faux limestone to cover the old floor and faux sandstone to cover the old tile walls. The bathroom was done 5 years ago and is still in pristine conditiion. Both products are available from the Finishing School in Ozone Park, NY. The products are very easy to use. Ask anyone in the school and they will be happy to give you instructions and tell you what to use with the products.
Sherrys22

Old 02-18-06, 07:15 PM
I saw this epi. too and went on a 2 day hunt for more info. to no avail. After all that and reading this I have to wonder if it wouldnt be easier to buy the new molds that you can make tile,flagstone etc at home with concrete. Has anyone tried this? I just ordered a bunch of molds to try out! If these molds are all they are cracked up to be I am going to have one incredibly decked out house(I tend to go a little overboard, lol)

Old 02-18-06, 07:16 PM
I forgot to say that it kinda ticked me off that the floor and tub etc. were such a major part of the show and yet we couldnt find or buy the product

Old 03-20-06, 08:09 AM
Talking The product is from Daich Coatings

Originally Posted by mysecondcloset
I just viewed Debbie Travis' Painted House episode HDTPH-138, Very French Bed and Bath and marveled at how tile was transformed into faux limestone with a new product that was not named. It was not venician plaster. Two coats of a plaster of paris like substance were applied to scuffed up tile. The second coat had a colored tint mixed in. A straightedge and trowel were used to double-score the stone lines, the excess product was removed creating the stone lines. Once dry, alcohol was sponged on each square individually, creating a mottled look. A marine-type sealer was the final coat. This process was used everwhere there was tile, on the tub surround, the walls, even the floor.

Anyone know what this product is and where it can be purchased? Thanks.
Hi, I was just browsing because I am very intersted in faux finishing and found this thread. I saw the show too and worked all night until I found out what it is. It is called, Spreadstone and Spreadrock. Do a search for "Daich Coatings" and you should find it. I did a seach on their site to find dealers and found it was within 10 miles of my home...at "(Patron's)Do It Yourself".. kinda expensive. I have not tried it yet as I am not yet at the decorating stage in my remodel, but I know where it is! Let me know if you get it and how it comes out. Elinda

Old 03-29-06, 07:59 PM
Red face What is the product that turns tile into faux limestone?

I have on tape, an old Kitty Bartholemew Show (Whose show I Loved!), where this guy applied a concrete mix to everything, his kitchen/ bath counter top, bath tub tile surround, wood and tile floor, and stairs. He even went over the bathroom counter and the entire sink bowl!. He sealed it with several coats of polyurethane, and said the product was extremely durable. He troweled on the product and used concrete stains to give it color. I think the stains can be mixed in or sprayed on after the concrete has dried. The product was possibly called Feather Weight/ Feather Light concrete or something to that effect. The finished project looked very high-end. I'm going to try it on my ugly laminate bathroom counter top. I think I will probably apply the flat varnish as they did on Debbie Travis since the surface is very slick. If I like it, I will do the turqoius tile walls and floor and the kitchen counter top.

Old 04-18-06, 10:34 PM
Exclamation Faux Limestone

I saw that same Debbie Travis episode when it first aired about eight years ago (!) I immediately sent an email requesting information. No response. Love you, Debbie Travis, but you ignore your fans!

However, I did learn the name of the gentleman applying the finish technique: Andre Ritlin, if my memory serves me well. I located his website and learned that Mr. Ritlin owned and operated a faux finishing school in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. I called and spoke to an ill-tempered woman who told me that their products were propietary and were sold only to their students. I asked about how to become a student, expressing my willingness to go to Toronto just to learn the technique. Hey, limestone on ugly bathroom tile without demolition? This was a million dollar idea! Well, she just about hung up on me -- I swear I was polite as could be. Ironic that she represented a finishing school! I figured she had a bad day.

I called about a year later, but the phone was no longer in service. Another year went by and I learned to my horror that the Ritlin studio had burned down!

However, I do have two leads that may help others who are frustrated by The Painted House's puzzling silence and general unwillingness to help. There is a company in Long Island City, Queens, New York called Mirage Finishes. Their website is http://miragefinishes.com. Run by two of the most accommodating guys -- I even had a quick, free lesson when I went to visit! They sell a line called Aqua Finishing, which is acrylic based and contains actual limestone/marble material. They guided me, and I purchased a finishing system called Caenstone, a basecoat and a finish coat with mica and sand, made by a company with a great name: Master of Plaster. I just finished putting the base coat on an ugly brick fireplace. I'll post the outcome, but it sure looks great so far, and it sure is tough, even though it is plaster based.

You can also try the Faux Store which also sells the Aqua finishing line, because they have other finishes that might be more suitable to your project. Their website is http://www.fauxstore.com. I haven't bought anything from them, but you can sure give them a try.

As for the daich coatings, looks promising, but the guys at Mirage Finishing showed samples of the results, and it looked very convincing, a kind of rough-hewn limestone. While I was there they were doing all sorts of concrete projects, which were absolutely amazing.

I know I sound like an ad for these Mirage finishing guys, but I was very impressed with their knowledge, techniques and service.

Good luck to you all, and I hope that it won't take you eight years to find what you need, like poor me!

Old 04-20-07, 10:55 AM
Limestone Finish

I just talked with Mirage Finishes in NY and they have a product that goes on like paint that looks like limestone. It can be used on fireplaces, bathroom walls, and door trim. I have ordered the product and will post again after I have used it. The owner says it is an easy process. Also they were very helpful.

Old 04-29-07, 10:06 PM
Try this website

After reading you post and the replies, went web surfing and found this site..hope it helps (they have pics of the coolest floors, makes me wish I had slab floors to try it on!!)
Good luck http://www.concretenetwork.com/concrete_overlays_cement/