Venetian Plaster topcoat problem

Old 07-09-10, 09:59 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Venetian Plaster topcoat problem

I have put Behr Venetian plaster in my bathroom and then applied the Behr Venetian Plaster Topcoat No. 775 Clear Satin. It yellowed and dulled the plaster. It looks terrible and I need to remove the topcoat without damaging the Venetian Plaster underneath. I need to know an effective method of doing so. Behr advised me to start all over again. The plaster part of the job is beautiful and do not want to start all over again on this time-consuming process. I also need to know what to use instead of topcoat to seal the walls in this high moisture zone that will not destroy the look of the plaster. I don't mind if it darkened it a little, but definitely mind the yellowing and dulling. Anyone else have this experience? Advice appreciated. Thank you, JOWBCT

Old 07-09-10, 11:12 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I'm not well versed in venetian plaster or with Behr's line of coatings. Was the sealer oil based? Generally oil base coatings will yellow while water based won't. A clear oil base sealer would darken the colors already there. Assuming the behr sealer is similar to poly/varnish, a water based poly wouldn't yellow. Sheen would be dependent on the coating [satin, semi-gloss or gloss]

I doubt there is any way to remove just the sealer and none of the venetian plaster.

Old 07-13-10, 05:57 AM
C
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Yuck! That is so frustrating! If it is any consolation, you might have saved others from the same mistake. I need to paint my bathroom so thanks for that anyways.

Old 08-25-10, 12:51 PM
B
Topcoat to venetial plaster

I used paste car wax and waxed it just like you would a car. It has been on my wall now for at least two years and looks as nice as the day I finished. Venetian plaster is a beautiful finish!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: