Venetian Plaster top coat?

Old 07-11-05, 12:51 PM
P
paramon
Visiting Guest
Question Venetian Plaster top coat?

I'm going to do Venetian plaster in medium traffic area. I'm wondering if top coat is really necessary. Iíve read it really alters plaster color (makes it darker?). Iíd like to hear people experience with it (Iím considering one from Behr).

Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-05, 10:26 AM
V
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
First who's Venetian plaster did you use? Behr?

Old 07-27-06, 01:25 PM
J
I'm at the same point you are....

Originally Posted by paramon
I'm going to do Venetian plaster in medium traffic area. I'm wondering if top coat is really necessary. Iíve read it really alters plaster color (makes it darker?). Iíd like to hear people experience with it (Iím considering one from Behr).
I used 5 coats of Behr Venetian Plaster and love the look of it... I don't know if I want to burnish, it looks so good with the matte surface it has now. I read that the Behr topcoat could make it look cloudy if not applied right... the instructions say it should not be burnished before or after. I too am afraid it will darken the color.
I read you can use a wax paste (like from Johnson and J). It is applied with a rag. I tried some on a small spot and it looks ok but still cannot see how the whole wall will look.
I'm like you and want to leave everthing "as is" since it is in a dining room with not a lot of traffic but I've read that dark spots can develop on the plaster...

Old 07-27-06, 02:39 PM
T
Top coats seals and protects and provides greater durability to Venetian plaster. Apply some plaster to a practice board and try different top coats to determine which you prefer and to see effects of top coat on plaster.

Burnishing with sandpaper is optional. All plaster dust would have to be removed with damp rag afterwards before applying top coat. If a flatter, glossier appearance is desired, after sanding a flat trowel can be rubbed over plaster. Techniques can be practiced on a practice board before tackling the walls.

Old 07-28-06, 07:56 AM
K
I've not used Behr, but generally a topcoat will remove the highs and lows you see in your burnished plaster. It will also give the whole wall a glassy/glossy layer (which is why/how you lose the highs and lows, because when you burnish the high points are glossier than the lows). You could try wax, which will also even out the appearance. The main problem with paste was (Briwax, Johnsons, etc) is that you can't repaint/resurface the wall w/o removing it (requiring scrubbing with paint thinner to remove the wax). There are water based waxes that you can paint over (aquawax). Good luck--and definetely play with some sample boards to determine what look you want.

Old 04-17-10, 11:47 AM
S
burnish before or after top coat

I've applied to coats of venetian plaster. It is quite flat, but OK. I do want to apply the top coat for protection, but I like the look of the marble appearance with burnishing. The directions state to NOT burnish before or after the top coat, but isn't the burnishing what give the appearance of marble...ds