venetian plaster [finishing wax]

Old 10-11-05, 08:45 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
venetian plaster [finishing wax]

update....
after 3 weeks of prep, fill, fill, sand, burnish, burnish, burnish, burnish.... (filled in with family from katrina and illness) I am about finished.

the burnishing is about to give me fits....seems that when I finish burnishing (hours and hours) the next day it seems lighter..

Also, if anyone wants to recommend any wax that will just keep the look the way it is (minus the really dull finish)....

I have put so much time into this....

Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-05, 05:28 PM
Venetian plaster wax

The reason it looks lighter is because it has a gloss now...and that bounces light. First before I recommend a venetian plaster wax. Can you tell me who's brand of Vp you used?

Old 10-12-05, 08:04 PM
I used American Tradition. Put on approx 4 coats. It looks good but I just cant seem to keep the deep color and get rid of all the dull areas....(most are really glossy)

Thanks so much for your help!

Old 10-17-05, 08:34 AM
VPlasterman.....anyone.....

Any suggestions?

Old 10-18-05, 02:41 PM
venetian plaster wax

Have you polished any of this with a rag? Yet?

Old 10-18-05, 06:20 PM
Red face

Just got back into town.

I didn't know anything about polishing with the rag. I bet that is what it needs....Please advise what kind to use, any tips you would like to share...

I put approx 4 thin coats of the plaster on....sanded (probably not as much as I should have) then have burnished with the trowel. Would like to tone down the really glossy areas (ceiling fan lights really put a glare on one of the walls) and shine up the really dull areas, oh and also keep the depth that the layers are showing through.....I want it all typical woman

I did this in the living and dining area....It really is looking good just trying to fine tune...

Thanks again for your help...

Old 10-19-05, 06:05 AM
Venetian plaster

Soft cotton, like a t-shirt material. No printed logos or anything that can scratch.
But if you want an overall "satin" sheen, polish with #0000 steel wool.
And make sure to post a picture or two of the finished project!

Old 12-14-05, 04:34 PM
azneire
Visiting Guest
Darken Color!

You may want to try a liquid beeswax for Venetian Plaster finishes. This wax you can add colorants to and bring certain finishes to a DARKER finish. The only thing about this is that if you go too dark you may loose a lot of the movement on the finish. Some people like it to ba a lot calmer and this will definately work for you. I am not sure about putting an email address up here but if you want a supplier for this I can try to get in touch with you some way. Noel

Old 01-29-06, 03:56 PM
I have tried several methods with the VP. The one that worked best was to put several thin coats then sand with a very fine sandpaper. I put paste wax on and buffed it with a electric buffer. This way I didn't have to burnish and didn't have to use the sealer. This is in a bathroom and it is doing very well. The thing that I found out after doing this though is I should have painted the walls with the color of the plaster first. Any place that is raised will show white and is very hard to cover with the plaster.

Old 04-14-08, 03:49 PM
Wax on Venetian Plaster

This will be my first time applying wax to Venetian Plaster. Do you have to use a liquid wax? What is the best way to apply liquid wax or if possible the solid wax. I read to apply liquid wax with a sponge..my question is...how exactly....in circular motions? I went to buy Liberon wax at the only art store it is sold at but they didn't have liquid. Can I buy a different brand at Home Depot or Lowes? I appreciate the feedback thank you!

Old 04-22-09, 08:16 PM
Sealer for Venetian Plaster

What kind and where do you find wax for venetian plaster faux finishes. I just completed on in a kitchen and tried to seal it with the recommended sealer (Behr VP Sealer 775) and it left milky spots in numerous areas. Called the techs at Home Depot and they suggested letting it dry another 7-10 days to see if spots cleared. THEY DID NOT!

I spot-coated the milky areas and let them dry several days then re-applied the sealer--all the areas that were re-coated are now darker than the other areas!!!

I'm going to re-coat the entire room but DO NOT want to take a chance with Behr's VP Sealer. Any suggestions on how to seal this project? Help!!!

Old 04-25-09, 07:04 AM
Sounds like most of you are using products from a big box store. These will take much more work and not look nearly as nice as a higher end product.

One that we have been using is 'Vella' just two coats and an application of bees wax or Liberon. Apply the paste wax with cheesecloth, very easy and very professional look. Vella has their own sealer but we prefer the Liberon.

Just google Vella Plaster and you learn more about the product and see where to purchase. We order from the .................... where we get great service. You can choose from their color palette of have it tinted to color of your choice.

Last edited by Shadeladie; 05-10-09 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Disquised link removed. Advertising NOT allowed!
Old 02-26-12, 10:04 AM
Waxing for an enormous Venetian plaster job

Have read that Liberon liquid wax is the preferred wax to achieve a super high
glossy finish. I'm plastering over 7000 sq ft of wall space. Is there any other
wax that is less expensive that would achieve a similar look ? I'm considering
making my own, but realize that's a huge project in itself.
I used Briwax on my samples, but it's quite toxic and with as much contact as we will have really need to consider another option. Any ideas would help. Need to
figure this out asap. We're ready to wax on Monday/tomorrow. Yikes !!!