stencil floor paint

Old 03-24-06, 07:32 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
stencil floor paint

I am in the process of painting my steps and I am using 'Floor paint', which according to "The Complete Stenciling Handbook' is special for its strength and flexibility. I had to buy a gallon to paint 8 steps because that is the only size it comes in.

It sounds like after I paint the stencil on top of the base layer of paint, I have to paint 2-3 layers of polyurathane. But my question is for the Stencil, can I get another type of paint which comes in a quart or tube or do I have to buy another gallon of floor paint to do a stencil? I has thinking I could just use a quart of satin interior paint or a tube of acrylic artist's paint. Will that work?

thank you.

Old 03-24-06, 07:44 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
With multiple coats of poly overtop of the paint I don't think floor enamel is necesarry. A pint/quart of the desired color should be fine. Did you use oil or latex floor paint? I would be leary of applying latex over oil.

Old 03-24-06, 11:00 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
latex

I am using latex paint for the base coat of the stairs. I live in a part of the country where it is very hard to come by oil paint - very small selection or nothing that I want (because of air pollution standards I believe). I think if I drive out 50 miles into the country then oil paint is readily available. I had heard this was coming to my area, but it wasn't until recently that I discovered it was really true.

Old 03-24-06, 03:32 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
You should be fine then. It is hard to get latex to adhere over oil which was my main concern. Although other latex paints won't adhere as good over latex floor enamel as more floor enamel would you should be ok [just don't use any cut rate type paint] The top coats of poly is what will get the wear and tear. If the poly ever wears through you will then be putting wear on the colors underneath.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: