question about textured walls

Old 04-03-06, 08:41 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question question about textured walls

i am new at faux painting .I'd like to try different faux techniques in different areas of my house and i 'd like to find out if the texture on the walls is limiting me as far as the type of technique i am going to use? I understand that glazing probably is not a good idea.
What about venetian plaster or fresco techniques or color washing?
The texture on my walls is not very big and is not done by hand.It looks the same everywhere around the house.
Please let me know,
Lana

Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-06, 09:08 AM
why wouldn't glaze be a good idea? i have found that the exisiting texture on a wall usually enhances a faux paint technique. color washing & glazing are about the same thing.

Venetian plaster isn't just a paint technique. you actually trowel on a plaster product, which will cover up & smooth out any texture you may now have.

Old 04-03-06, 10:13 AM
L
thank you!

Thank you very much for you reply!
I got this idea from reding various books on faux finishing,
I am glad to hear that i am not limited in trying different techniques...

Old 04-04-06, 05:54 AM
K
Several techniques, including venetian plaster, should not be done over textured walls. I'm guessing you have orange peel (all over bumpy texture). You can use a trowled on plaster effect, but a venetian effect starts with smooth walls. While it might be possible to apply enough plaster to get a smooth surface, that would require a whole lot of product--and the stuff isn't cheap. Simpler and more cost effective to apply a skim coat of joint compound first to get a smooth surface. Check out the other forums (walls and plastering, I think) for tips on how to skim coat.

Old 04-04-06, 05:34 PM
L
Thank you very much!

I also asked the same question at Aqua Finishing forum and they gave me a simular answer:

"Most of the finishes you describe look best when applied over a smooth surface, Colorwashing or glazing will be the easiest look to achieve, it will highlight the pattern and can be utilized to create an old world antiquing effect. You can use some of our plaster or textured products over your current walls as long as you keep in mind it will still look textured/distressed/ patterned. In order to have a smooth surface to work over, you would have to float the wall texture out with drywall mud, sand prime and paint. "

I wonder if the described textured/distressed look is so bad?
Did you ever see what venesian plaster over the textured wall looks like?
Thank you again,

Lana B

Old 04-05-06, 06:45 AM
K
Every flaw/lump will telegraph through, so you'll never get the smooth appearance of venetian plaster, and it will not give a a smooth burnishing surface. The aqua products are great. Color washing is a totally different animal than venetian plaster, which you could probably do over the orange peel with a proper basecoat--but you will still see the eggshell.

Old 04-17-06, 07:23 AM
B
venetian plaster

If you use a natural plaster like the master of plaster your base coat will fill in your textured wall and the finish will give you a nice smooth gloss finish .I have done this process many times and the hardest part is the burnishing,but when it is completed the difference ic amazing.