Faux stone/venetian plaster effect?

Old 08-02-06, 07:21 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Faux stone/venetian plaster effect?

I'm moving into a new home and there is an archway that I've been thinking about doing in faux stone with aquastone. I was thinking today and had an idea that it would look nice to do the whole wall in a plaster finish with the faux stone "peeking" through, plus the faux stone arch. To make this effect, I was thinking I could do some spots of faux stone with aquastone with venetian plaster around that. To get this to look good, would I wind up beating my head against the wall? I'm new to this.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-06, 02:51 PM
It would make more sense to do the VP first and then use the Aqua Stone over that. You can then use a glaze or cream to tint your Aqua Stone. You may also want to look at Corkstone by Adicolor. This would adhere better with a VP and would give you more of the look you are after. Typically VP is a smooth finish and not textured.

Old 08-11-06, 07:16 AM
i know it's a DIY site, but i can't help thinking that it's a new home & you said you're new at this. this seems like a pretty complicated project for a newbie, and one that, if not executed really well, has a good chance at turning out looking pretty tacky. and even if done well, does it go with the house? i mean, is there stonework somewhere else like on the outside of the house or around the fireplace or something? because, if not, this idea of a deteriorating ancient stone castle won't even seem remotely believable & very much out of place & character there.

i would encourage you to instead just do a paint technique to achieve a faux plaster look - rag rolling or using the Woolie or something like that. much easier to do & a nice mottled effect for interest & depth, and no resulting beating of your head against the wall!

Old 08-12-06, 08:35 AM
[QUOTE=Annette]this seems like a pretty complicated project for a newbie, and one that, if not executed really well, has a good chance at turning out looking pretty tacky. QUOTE]

Excellent point, I should have warned of this myself.