Best faux finishes for swirled plaster or knockdown walls

Old 08-17-06, 10:27 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smile Best faux finishes for swirled plaster or knockdown walls - seeking recommendations

I would like to faux finish some walls, but my walls are not smooth & I don't know what type of faux finish would look best.

For the bath, which is a swirled finish joint compound, I would like a kind of tuscan look or something subdued. The kitchen could be the same or less subdued could work also. Its a large room.

The living room and halls are a knock down joint compound - stucco look. I'd like a subdued look here also.

I haven't really decided most of the colors yet, but I'm not sure what kind of faux finish works with these textures. Thanks!

Last edited by shaps; 08-17-06 at 05:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-06, 10:54 AM
i don't know how to answer your question, because i'm not sure what you're asking. your walls already have a texture on them. faux texture paint finishes are for smooth walls when a textured look is desired. the faux paint job then makes the smooth walls appear as though they are really textured.

i think you probably just want to paint your walls, but instead of just using one color, you want to mottle some lighter & darker colors together, right?

i wouldn't imagine the current texture on your walls would prohibit any mottled paint job you'd want to do. if anything, it will hide the actual texture, which seems a shame, especially regarding the swirled finish.

but if you're trying to decide between sponging, rag rolling, smooshing, whitewashing, or using a Woolie type roller, then i'd choose whatever you feel you can do most easily based on your talents & abilities. i've personally had success with the Woolie and think it's extremely easy to do & quicker than the other methods. you would have no problem using it on textured walls.

you might want to just use a wall & experiment with several methods to see which you prefer.

Old 08-18-06, 11:29 AM
thanks!

thanks annette. i wasn't actually looking for texture, just color. i don't want a solid color, but my husband (who is a painting contractor) doesn't think faux finishes such as ragrolling, sponging, etc work well on textured walls, especially swirled plaster. he's been doing faux finishes (marbleizing, wood grains, etc) for a dozen years or more, so i have to consider his opinion, but i really want something a little different in those rooms. i haven't seen the woolie before, so i'll definitely look into that. you're right, though, i do want a soft "mottled" kind of look. i saw an episode on hgtv where they did a suede finish i liked, but i assume that would also only work on smooth walls.

if i could find something that he'd like, maybe i could twist his arm to do the work! it would definitely turn out better than my attempt!

thanks for the great advice!

sharon

Old 08-18-06, 11:53 AM
yes, suede is smooth. don't even go there!

but i can see just doing a mottled 2-tone color. the woolie is a paint roller that's split into 2 little rollers on one handle. the paint tray is split, too, so you put one color on one side, another on the other side. then you roll the 2 colors onto the wall at the same time, blending them on the wall, wet into wet. it makes for a very blended effect (which would enhance an already textured wall, as opposed to hiding) since it's wet into wet, as opposed to a wet sponged onto a dry (which can be very polka dotty) & it's super fast. you can get them (& a video) at home depot, etc. & see them at woolie.com. your husband would be impressed with them if he tried it. and with it being a paint roller, it'll get into all the crevices of an already textured wall pretty well.