Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Decorating, Design, Painting, Upholstery and Fabrics Center > Faux Finishing
Reload this Page >

Exterior door with faded wood-like molding - duplicating wood grain

Exterior door with faded wood-like molding - duplicating wood grain

Old 09-27-06, 09:30 PM
clj
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Exterior door with faded wood-like molding - duplicating wood grain

My front door is metal with wood-like molding that has faded. The molding is around leading glass inserts. I am pretty sure it has faded due to being bleached in the past when the vinyl siding was being washed. The paint on the molding is flaking off, taking the textured woodgrain with it. Is there any way restore the texture and paint this? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-06, 02:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 139 Votes on 124 Posts
Most metal doors use a plastic [?] trim around the glass. All the ones I have seen were either slick or a few that had a wood grain moulded in the plastic. Is it possible you are mistaking brush marks for the grain?

A lot can be done with faux painting techniques. It is possible to make it look like wood using paint.

Old 10-02-06, 06:32 PM
clj
Question

thank you for responding. having computer problems as well, so just not back on line. The door had two side light panels. the lower part of the side light panels have this molding that is about 20 inches tall and 10 inches wide. the door had a larger section about 20 inches tall and 20 inches high. it may very well be plastic and the paint is flaking off. underneath it is slick, no texture. i have thought about using a gel stain and a paint brush to try to recreate the wood grain. however not all the wood color paint has flaked off. this is probably way out of my league but we are having a 50th wedding anniversry partly here in about 3 weeks, so i now think i need to do something right away. the upper part of the door trim around the glass had not hardly faded, so i wonder if i can paint over it. is there a special brush for making wood grain look?

Old 10-03-06, 06:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 139 Votes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by clj
is there a special brush for making wood grain look?

Not really, I have seen a tool that will help make a wood grain design in paint.

It sounds as if your door had a faux wood finish applied to it. While I did do some wood graining as an apprentice years ago I'm not well versed in faux techniques. Used to be wood graining was achieved by adding paint to varnish and dragging different colors across the surface. There are a lot of new faux painting materials and techniques available today. DIY has a faux painting forum, you may want to post questions there or I could move this thread if you like.

BTW congratulations on the 50th anniversary!!!!!

Old 10-04-06, 08:13 PM
clj
Talking faded exterior door trim

I will try the faux painting forum. Yes, please move this thread to that section. Thanks for your help.