Help from VP Experts (Venetian Plaster)

Old 11-01-06, 09:10 AM
fmy
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smile Help from VP Experts (Venetian Plaster)

Hello,
I have researched the older postings regarding VP but still have a few questions. This is our third but much bigger project (the first was our testing project on an accent wall, second a little half bath).

1.Any advice/tips on how to apply Berh VP to the inside/outside corners in a room - I found it to be a bit challenging when using the trowel.

2. Because we are doing a large kitchen we are thinking of working on one area at a time. There are two large walls that we are planning to do in phases meaning - dividing the wall vertically in 3 and work on one mini wall at a time for the first coat, then trying to apply the reaminaing coats to a larger area until the final coat will be applied to the overall wall. Does this sound ok to you experts out there??
If we do this it will take several days (as we are working on it only couple of hours a day), will it affect the burnishing (Berh says to burninsg within 7 days).

3. I have read about sanding in between VP coats, how will this affect the look? Berh instructions only say to do this before burnishing.

4. Finally, Berh reccommends using the topcoat for high traffic areas, however it instructs not to burnish. Here is the problem, we like the burnished look and we are currently doing our kitchen - so can I burnish it and apply another kind of protective coat? Do I really have to apply a protective coat? I am concern about the postings saying the coat changes the colors, etc.

THANK YOU ALL, sorry about the long posting.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-06, 11:29 AM
For inside corners, use a finger--the real thing. For outside corners, there are soft corner trowels available, but I've had some success just folding a piece of heavy posterboard.

I don't understand why you are dividing the room in columns. Generally, you shouldn't have a problem coming back and finishing later, as VP doesn't usually leave lap lines, but I'm not sure I would leave hard "columns" as you may end up with a lap line that is obvious. I have never used the Behr VP (have used the Am. Sig., and was unimpressed), but with most synthetic VP's the first coat shouldn't take that long as you are only putting a very think skim coat on the wall. Are you doing something different?

No idea about the burnishing but its the top coat that you are burnishing so that shouldn't be a problem.

If you top coat, you don't need to burnish. Burnishing polishes the surface and leaves "highs and lows" where the peaks of your vp gets shinier or more polished than the lows. If you top coat, all the plaster gets the same level of shine. I don't know that it changes "color", but the sheen is uniform after top coating.

Old 11-13-06, 07:55 AM
fmy
Thanks for the reply.
I already started the project and so far are very pleased with the results. I figured out about using my fingers for the inside corners but I am glad you mentioned the tip about the outside corners...
I decided to burnished and not use a topcoat. And I realized after I started that I didn't have to divide the walls in sections as you mentionedas well.
The only problem I had this time is that somehow the last VP gallon I got was a lighter shade that the previous ones...I took it back and they said it needed to be shaken some more and so they did. It looks darker now but I still see it a bit different. Since I started a new wall, I will continue and hopefully by the time I get to a new gallon the color will be the same as the other walls...

Old 11-13-06, 01:16 PM
Like paint, with store colored VP you should buy all you need and mix them together to insure uniform color application. Barring that, you could just make sure your top coat is all from the same can . . .

Old 11-13-06, 01:46 PM
Find Behr's recommended application techniques at http://www.behr.com/behrx/expert/activity.jsp?aid=616&subnav=interior&leftNav=noSteps