Sponge Paint Color Selection

Old 11-06-06, 01:43 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sponge Paint Color Selection

Hello everyone, I need some suggestions on color selection. I have a wall that was professionally painted and the quality of the work is really great but the color didn't come out quite like what I had in mind. I wanted a soft muted greenish yellow, calming and zen-like -- the shade of green I ended up with is close but a little too loud and lime-y. It's too bright and intense. I was thinking rather than paint over it I could add depth and soften it by sponging a glaze over it, maybe in white, or a paler green, or even a pale cappucino color. Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best top color to sponge over to tone down the green? I've never done any faux finish painting before. Thanks! Andrea

Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-06, 06:41 PM
Experiment on pieces of cardboard painted with your base color. Brownish glazes can give you the cappucino look. Golden and yellow glazes may give you the softer yellow-green look. You can also experiment with different application techniques--brush, sponge, rag, plastic bag, etc. until you come up with the faux technique and glaze color you desire.

Old 11-07-06, 11:27 AM
or, now that you know what color you DON'T like, you can pick a color you WILL like and just repaint the wall. you'll be basically repainting the whole wall anyway, so you're not saving any work by "just" glazing it. in fact, it will be more difficult to do what you're proposing than simply repainting. also, as you can tell by your question, it's a real guessing game as to what color/s applied over the existing will "tone down" your color. and lastly, you'll be working with a wet color over a dry color, which is very difficult to make look blended. for the best result, you'd want to work wet into wet, which is too late to do.

but if i were to try this myself, i would use a shade just a tad darker & less limey than what you've got. the white would be the worst thing you could do. it'll look like chalk on top of your green, since it's dry. if it were wet, the 2 colors would blend & create lights & darks. but wet paint over your dry base won't do that. so stick with a color similar to what's up there now, and just go slightly darker or browner or whatever. but not white or brown or something totally different. you might even want to use 2 wet colors together over the dry base.

definitely practice on poster board first.

this is not to totally discourage you, but just so you know ahead of time, it would be easier to just repaint.

but if you really want to do a faux technique, good luck.

Last edited by Annette; 11-07-06 at 11:39 AM.