Painting Door Question

Old 11-10-06, 06:37 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Arrow Painting Door Question

I have one of the 6 panel white doors from HD I don't know what you call what they are made from but not lamitated hollow core, I think it is the MDF Stuff, Anyhow can these be stained to look like a wood color or do they have to be just painted. It is bathroom door, we are replacing all of out old doors

Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-06, 06:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 139 Votes on 124 Posts
I assume you have a masonite door - factory primed - off white. If so they can't be stained although with some work and faux painting skills they could be made to look like real wood. Short of that, they need to be painted.

Old 11-11-06, 08:31 AM
I don't know what kind of door material it was but our property manager used gel stain on standard HD 6-panel doors and they came out great.... you couldn't even tell they weren't wood.

Old 11-12-06, 07:51 PM
Well, that sounds like fiberglass, which takes gel stain very well. But for the original poster, it's hard to give you any direction without knowing exactly what the material is.

Old 11-14-06, 09:04 PM
Arrow Masonite

It is one of the Masonite 6 panel white primed that you see at the Home Depot, so how are you saying I can make it look like wood what is material I need to use

Old 11-15-06, 05:02 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
There are 2 types of 6 panel masonite doors. 1 has a textured grain and the other is slick. The method to faux stain them could differ. It is possible that a gel stain would adequately color a textured door although I have never tried doing so. A slick door would be faux painted similiar to wood graining a metal door.

I'll move this thread to faux painting in the hopes of you getting more info there.

Old 12-05-06, 07:03 AM
You absolutely can stain them to make them look wonderful. i have done many many doors like this.

Firstly you need to determine what's on them right now. If they are white, i'm guessing they're primed - probably with latex paint. To be sure, take some nail polish remover on a cotton pad and rub the door with it. If a little bit of paint comes off - good! that means they're latex. Since the cotton is white and so is the pad, it may be hard to tell, but feel the cotton pad - if it's kinda gummy, then paint came off. If the door is not latex, but oil painted instead, you can either skip step 1 which i will outline below, or if you want to include step 1, you will need to prime the door first with a suitable primer such as BIN. (this is only if the door is oil painted which i doubt)

step 1 - paint the door with a metallic gold paint -trust me on this. It'll give the finished door a beautiful warm glow. USe 1 to 2 inch cheap paintbrush and apply the paint streaky. Let dry
step 2 - repeat with Gel stain - i like the colour Fruitwood. Don't try to be perfect - streaky is good so that some of the gold comes through. Pay attention to the way the door is made and apply your streaks in the direction of the grain of the wood - even if it is fake.

Old 12-05-06, 07:26 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by kathy fakes it View Post
Pay attention to the way the door is made and apply your streaks in the direction of the grain of the wood - even if it is fake.

Even if the door is slick masonite you need to brush the streaks in direction that wood sections would go if it were a real wood door - after all that's what you want the finished product to resemble.

Old 12-06-06, 08:28 PM
Yes, exactly!