Behr VP help

Old 11-16-06, 11:12 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Behr VP help

I have put 2 coats of VP on my kitchen walls and it looks nothing like the picture. It is dull and blotchy. I began to burnish a small section and again it just looks matte and blotchy. Should I just buy paint of the same color and paint over it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-06, 10:42 AM
It's hard to say without seeing your project. VP (true lime based and synthetic) requires multiple THIN layers to build up the plaster. Generally, you are trying to get a smoth layer of plaster, built up over several applications. I'll guess that you used one of the useless symphony blue steel trowels to apply your plaster, which in my experience makes a decent application virutally impossible. You may need several more coats thinly applied before you try to burnish the plaster. Also, be sure to mix your plaster to insure uniform color application.

Old 12-05-06, 06:46 AM
Do not feel discouraged - Behr VP is not really that great as a venetian plaster. However, your project can be saved. Try this:
Apply one more coat of plaster, overlapping each new spot a little bit onto the previous one, then burnish the wall when the plaster is still a tiny bit wet. To burnish it means to take your metal spatula or trowel and rub quickly and with pressure. If you're plaster is a light colour, do not use stainless steel, it will leave carbon marks.