Help: Painting a Gradient or a "Fade"

Old 12-06-06, 04:50 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help: Painting a Gradient or a "Fade"

Hi everyone:

I have a new office with very high ceilings. The walls curve into the ceiling as they go up, and the ceiling itself if old tin. I don't want to paint the entire wall, just abuut 10-12 feet is more than sufficient. My thought is to have the paint fade at the top - like a gradient - which goes smoothly from color to the original white.

Any thoughts on how to do this well?

I thought maybe using a sprayer, spraying lightly at the top, heavier below that, and heavier still on down etc, then use a moist foam sponge to smooth it out.

Any advice owuld be greatly appreciated. I don't know if we can post photos here, but I'll try to get some up if I can pull it off.

Thanks everyone,
Steve

Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-06, 05:36 PM
You can post photos at www.photobucket.com or other site and post a link here for everyone to take a peek at your office. Sounds like you are on the right track with the sprayer. If done properly, it's likely you will need to sponge.

Old 12-07-06, 07:31 AM
sponging right direction

So is there a direction preference, should I sponge up, down, or laterally?

Thanks for your time,
Steve

Old 12-07-06, 08:24 AM
i don't think you're going to have success with only using the one color & merely varying the amount of the paint used. i think you'll need several shades of the one color & you'll have to blend them together. for example, you'll need white, light blue, medium blue, and a darker blue.

Old 12-07-06, 09:29 PM
agreed.

First of all , you need to use glaze because straight paint will dry way too fast.

let's say you're going to do two colours, blue at ceiling, green at the floor. Work in columns. Apply blue one third of the way down the wall starting at the ceiling in a 2 to 3 foot swathe. apply green one third of the way up the wall from the baseboard in a 2 to 3 foot swathe. Now stipple the darker colour with a round big soft brush and kind of walk it towards the other colour. When you get close to the middle of the wall stop. Move onto the other, lighter colour with a different brush and do the same in the opposite direction. Now stipple the light colour into the darker colour and vice versa. Keep working it in and out, up and down until you get a nice fade.

ALways leave a margin of untouched glaze at the edge of the column to avoid dry lines. Repeat with next column.