Aged Picture Frame Paint

Old 01-11-07, 09:07 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Aged Picture Frame Paint

I'm looking to make a large picture frame out of crown moulding, but I'm not sure what to do about the paint job. Most ornate frames are a rustic gold color and I'm looking to duplicate that. Any ideas on how I can add the look of an aged patina to a flat gold color?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-07, 10:59 AM
you might use antique brass paint. or maybe there's a gold leaf that comes in an antiqued version.

Old 01-11-07, 02:56 PM
Thanks, Annette! Do you know where I can buy antiqued paint?

Old 01-11-07, 03:05 PM
craft stores like Michael's, Hobby Lobby, etc.

are you just making this to sell or something? i just wondered cuz you said "most ornate frames are a rustic gold color and I'm looking to duplicate that." if so, you might want to reconsider that. that type of finish is a bit dated now. a more current & popular finish would be black over red. paint red first, then black, then sand thru the black a bit to reveal areas of red underneath. or you could a pewter/silver color. OR....if you really want to do the gold color, put red under that, too.

no matter what you end up doing, you'll want to change your base from a flat gold to either red or black, and then hit the high parts of the design with whatever top color you use, and leave the other color alone in the crevices.

you might even look into the crackle paints at the craft store.

Old 01-11-07, 08:42 PM
Awesome advice, Annette! Why didn't I think of that?! The frame is for a VERY large non-traditional piece of art that I made which I will be selling shortly. I chose gold as the frame color because, to me, it looks very classic and regal but doesn't distract from the piece itself. The frame on this piece is actually insignificant and is just to hide the black aluminum pipes that currently hold the piece together.

What I'd like to do is have a gold frame where the crevices are dark. To do that would I paint it gold first, then black, then lightly sand away the protruding black areas?

Thanks again!

Old 01-12-07, 09:48 AM
Originally Posted by beekrock View Post

What I'd like to do is have a gold frame where the crevices are dark. To do that would I paint it gold first, then black, then lightly sand away the protruding black areas?
nope, paint it black first & get it in all the nooks & crannies. then hit all the high spots with the gold.

Old 01-12-07, 10:52 AM
One last question and I'll stop bugging you

Once I paint the frame black, how do I paint only the high spots with gold? Is there a certain type of paint brush I'd need? Thanks again!

Old 01-12-07, 11:09 AM
you're not bugging me........ this is what we are here for!!!

i would either dry brush it (which mean barely load any gold paint onto just the tips of the brush & then dab the brush onto a paper towel or newspaper or something to remove most of it, then just sort of lightly hit the tops of the design where you want the color. it takes an artistic touch) or use a painting sponge (flat rectangular sponge on a stick) and do the same thing.

you just don't want to glob on a bunch of gold paint because it'll ooze all the way down into the crevices & cover up all the black.

if that seems too difficult, you could do the reverse: paint the whole thing gold & let dry. then go over it with black & while it's still wet, wipe off almost all of the black (with an old rag) to expose the gold, but leave the black in the crevices.

i really don't know which way would work better. i've seen it done both ways. do you have a scrap of the frame you could practice on? that's what i would do.

Old 01-12-07, 12:20 PM
[QUOTE=Annette;1106326]go over it with black & while it's still wet, wipe off almost all of the black (with an old rag) to expose the gold, but leave the black in the crevices.QUOTE]

That is genius! I think I'm going to try that. I'll post afterwards to let anyone whose interested know how well it works.

Old 01-17-07, 05:53 PM
Just found this forum (LOVE it!) so this reply is a little late, but... there's a product called Rub-n-Buff that's a metallic, wax-based rub on that comes in a tube. I have a HUGE painting that was my great-great grandfather's in an ornate plaster frame. I got some of this to try on several areas where the original gold finish had come off or worn away. The color I used was gold-leaf and it matched exactly. Anyway, it comes in lot of colors, including two shades of red/gold. You could use it to highlight parts of the frame. It's so easy -- I just used my fingertip to apply it then buffed it with a soft cloth. Please do post how it turns out .

Old 01-28-07, 10:15 AM
Thanks 3cats! I wish I knew about that sooner!

I ended up using a flat black spray paint as a base coat. I then used a gold "webbing" spray paint which worked perfectly. The webbing paint actually sprays out like a spider web, so it didn't fill in the knooks and crannies. Thanks again to this forum!