Decorative Tissue Paper & Wall Glaze

Old 01-23-07, 03:12 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Decorative Tissue Paper & Wall Glaze

hi - I've read so much about faux painting with tissue paper that I was wanting to take it a step further --- tissue paper has come along way from the white paper. I'm thinking of using the decorative tissue paper. Give the walls a fresh coat of complimentary paint, crumble and add the tissue paper, then use a clear glaze over the wall (almost like a urethane) ..... has anyone tried this, or have any thoughts? Thanks, Susan

Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-07, 11:36 AM
the show Trading Spaces on TLC seems to do that quite a bit. i can't remember that i've seen them crumple it up so much as they like to overlap the squares/rectangles to achieve a usually Retro look. where they overlap takes on a darker color than where the tissue is just one layer. but i can't recall any details of the how-to.

i would think putting the tissue onto wet paint might be more messy than if you first painted the wall & let it dry, then go back & use wallpaper paste or that decoupage stuff to adhere the tissue. i would definitely recommend sealing it with polyurethane, either satin or glossy, depending on the look you want. otherwise, with no poly, the wall would be very fragile & non-wipeable.

and, of course, i'd practice first with different colors of tissue on different colors of paint to see what produces the best look.

Old 01-26-07, 05:00 PM
Do a sample first, as some of the dyes used on tissue could bleed into the paint. I've done a tissue finish with wrinkled paper. Don't use wallpaper past, just push it into the wet base coat (why add a step) just work in small areas. You can either tear the edges or leave them straight. If you wrinkle it, you get better texture than if you just put it on the wall. If you glaze it, you'll get the glaze to pool in the wrinkled spots, which gives a great effect and the glaze will act as your top coat.