Can I make my own Crackle Glaze?

Old 01-29-07, 12:29 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Can I make my own Crackle Glaze?

I was wondering if anyone knew of a recipe to make my own crackle glaze to use with latex paints. What is Crackle Glaze made of, and exactly how does it work to make the top coat break and split to show the undercoat color? I am familiar with the weathered and porcelain types of crackle, are there others? I am painting a buffet for my dining room and would like to create a porcelain crackle, but I want to achieve a large crackle pattern, more than a tiny one. I could use any tips, info and especially a glaze recipe!

Old 01-31-07, 09:35 AM
L
Lightbulb Glue as a home-made crackle glaze

I looked further on different sites and finally came across the mention of hide glue as a crackle glaze, that gave me the idea that other glues could be used. I checked out a few websites that suggested wood glue or plain white glue. I used the white glue and it produced a delicate pattern that ended up looking great! I am still curious about any tips for crackle glaze.

Old 01-31-07, 03:47 PM
K
Yes, but why? The proprietary products have sooooo many advantages. Several allow you to rebrush after applying the size--so you can manipulate your top coat. Hyde glue stinks and is unstable--and its hard to apply. Try aqua size and crackle. Lots of ways to do this--fast dry over slow dry--you can use laquer as the undercoat for oil. You can use a hair dryer on your second coat. You can use any number of glues, althoug with elmers your top coat isn't particularly stable unless sealed. The problem with the older methods is they rarely offer consistent results without lots of practice.

Old 02-03-07, 04:41 PM
B
Glue is the key!If you have not had prior practice with this technique dont do it.Try doing something small until you have gotten the correct proportions down.Trying using rabbitskin glue or fish glue mixed with 1 part gum arabic and one part water.Use a satin color as a base coat then apply the glaze wait 15-20 minutes then go over it with an egg shell color.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: