Venetian Plaster Help Please???

Old 03-25-07, 03:18 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Venetian Plaster Help Please???

I have posted a few times about plastering and have decided to try Venetian Plaster. Can anyone recommend a good brand to use and any help with the application?? (1 2 3 directions) I would like the final color to be a light cream color in my kitchen. What is the difference in effect between burnishing and sanding? I have seen people post that there can be marks left when burnishing on light plaster. Is there a special blade to use so this won’t happen or should you sand light plaster? Is a paste type of wax the best thing to apply over it? What wax or sealer is best? If I apply wax, do I still have to sand or burnish? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance and have a nice day!

Old 05-10-07, 08:33 PM
M
I had trouble with a light colored plaster when burnishing with metal, I have seen on TV that they were using plastic. That would keep you from getting the black streaks. I found that sanding with very fine sandpaper was the easiest way to burnish and then polish with wax. I used the Behr product.

I put 2 or 3 very thin coats on the wall and then sanded. I used Johnson Paste wax and buffed with a car buffer. This wax is orange so that might not look good with your light cream plaster. You would need a wax that doesn't have any color. I was putting it over a green and a purple so it didn't matter.

This has been on my hallway and a bathroom for over 2 years and I haven't had any problems with it.

Old 06-02-07, 11:28 AM
S
Venetian Plaster

I used McCloskey brand on a huge loft room in my bungalow. It took 6 cans and lots of hard work, but it looks absolutely beautiful. The color I used is called "Oro." I tried the color "Crema" in my kitchen but it's so light, I did not feel the true beauty of the plaster came out as well.

Sanding seems to smudge the colors. I cannot believe anyone would use this technique. Instead, I burnish with a metal applicator, purchased at a Benjamin Moore paint store which sold a kit with three sizes of trowels.

I found that if after applying my final coat of plaster, if I waited about an hour for it to dry, burnishing is easy. If I waited longer, it was harder to burnish.

I did not use any sealer or wax afer burnishing.

If you have further questions, you can email me at syoung.kansas@gmail.com

Old 06-10-07, 08:46 AM
B
venetian plaster

I have used many different venetian plasters over the last 12 years and the best lime based vp i have used is master of plaster.It burnishes beautifully and has great movement.Some synthetics go on easily but most of the designers I work for think it has a plastic look about it.Master of plaster also make a basecoat that makes bad walls as smooth as glass without sanding. good luck b

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: