cabinet help

Old 10-13-08, 07:04 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
cabinet help

I am pretty good at faux finishing & not too afraid to take on projects, but need some advice before I jump into this one. We are moving into a new (for us) house which has green stained cabinets in the kitchen. I don't absolutely hate them but they are very GREEN. I know that it IS stain & not paint-so here is my idea-remove doors, clean well & then paint over them with an off white paint-I have one in mind. Anyway, after the paint dries, distress the heck out of it-sand it way in places, etc. That way some of the green will show thru but not be so overwhelming. Has anyone tried anything like this, or is there anything I need to look out for? I know this is a big & time consuming project, but short of replacing the cabinets completely-which I can't afford-it is the only thing I can come up with. I really appreciate anyone's thoughts!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-08, 05:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 132 Votes on 118 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Here's some good info on painting cabinets;

http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=292098

While your faux finish will be different, the prep steps are the same and are important to insure a lasting paint job.

Old 10-25-08, 02:40 PM
I do a lot of distressing and antiquing and this is my trick of the trade:
After preparing (cleaning/sanding) the stained surface, rub some candle wax (yes; with a piece of candle ) on the areas where you want the green base coat to show through. Rub and spread the candle wax lightly with your finger in the direction of the grain.

Then paint with the off white paint, but be sure to use an eggshell waterbased (latex or acrylic) paint. Leave to dry. Now you can remove the paint on the waxed areas with some sanding paper or fine steel wool. The candle wax prevents the water based paint to adhere.
(If necessary you can apply a second coat of paint; repeat the process). For extra protection seal the surface with a waterbased varnish.

Good luck!

Old 10-27-08, 11:12 AM
thanks for the advice

Thanks so much for your suggestions. I love the candlewax trick & will do that for sure-makes perect sense. I have read that you should use a semi-gloss on cabinets so that they are easier to clean if they get dirty. Is this true? We are starting this project on Saturday. Also, while doing the original sanding, do I just need to "rough" them up? thanks again for your help. I knew I came to the right place!
K