Does anyone know how to faux finish exterior stucco?

Old 11-09-08, 03:37 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Red face Does anyone know how to faux finish exterior stucco?

There are a lot of new really nice homes in our area that seem to have a smeared two toned look on the stucco. Some painters say they use two different flat colors and faux finish while both colors are wet. I have tried and I'm still not getting the look that I want. I don't want the sponge close together look. Does anyone know the technique involved? I'd really like to do this myself and just learn how the contractors are doing it. Also, does anyone suggest some gold tones that would be pretty together?

Old 11-12-08, 02:29 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I don't know how they do it on exterior stucco, but I just did it to some interior walls and it turned out pretty well.

I had previously stucco'd the interior walls and had a similar effect with different brown colors. I am remodeling and wanted to go with a green. So, I repainted the walls with a glossy white paint. Then I bought just one quart of the green I wanted. I took a cheap brush and randomly painted on the green paint in patches, being sure that the green was heaviest around the deepest stucco textures. While the green paint was still wet, I took a damp sponge and smeared the green paint all over the wall. The green paint stayed in the textures of the stucco. Only work on a small area at a time, otherwise the paint dries and you can't smear it into the texture.

How do you insert a picture into this forum? It appears that a picture must be posted somewhere on the internet? Can't I get one from my computer?

Old 11-16-08, 01:04 PM
L
Thanks Twig Lady!

I put the little icon from the options on the right when you click to reply.
The idea of the wet sponge makes sense, to have that smeared around look. It seems like people are doing a lot of feaux finishes now adays. Thanks for the advice!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: