How do I replicate a thomasville cabinet finish?

Old 11-09-08, 07:26 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How do I replicate a thomasville cabinet finish?

i really like the look of the thomasville cabinet, toasted almond glaze and would like to replicate the look in my kitchen. the cabinets are from 1984, and are not solid wood - whatever the housing contractors could find that was cheap but not thermafoil. they are sort of a medium-brown honey oak color-style. does that make sense? anyway, what is recommended to use to make the same look of the thomasville cabinets?

my paints are all behr, antique white on walls, swiss coffee (basically, white) on trim, the countertop will eventually be replaced with silestone in blue sahara.

what color and finish for the cabinets and then what color and finish to add in a glaze? do i need to poly when the finish is complete?

the behr rep at home depot told me i don't need a primer since the cabinets are not solid wood throughout, just a good wash down with soap and water, dry 24 hours and paint. thoughts? thanks in advance for the advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-08, 02:04 PM
Thomasville has been different finishes on cabinets. See here: Kitchen Cabinets

Keep in mind that Thomasville finishes are factory applied with sprayers to achieve a very smooth and even finish. Too finish is likely dried beneath UVB lights.

Kitchen Kompact cabinets have long been popular with budget minded builders. They are veneer over plywood. Cabinets are stained and sealed. Do your cabinets look like any of the following?

There's a Sticky at the top of the Painting Forum page that gives some good instructions for painting cabinets at http://forum.doityourself.com/painti...t-repaint.html

Here's a helpful video on glazing kitchen cabinets: Glazing Kitchen Cabinets Video

Old 11-12-08, 06:59 AM
Originally Posted by ThatPainterLady View Post
Do you have a picture of the Thomasville cabinet that you like so I can see what you are referring to?

What are your cabinets made out of? Do they have a gloss finish on them?
this is a link to their website. hope it works. this door style is closest to what i currently have here. the finish is over maple wood, but what i have to work with is an oak-look veneer over plywood. i think the finish was a gloss, but the cabinets are 24 years old, so it is hard to tell. the photo on a reply from twelvepole below is similar to what we have here at home. i realize i can't make an exact match, but something along that style is what i'm aiming for when the project is complete.

http://www.thomasvillecabinetry.com/...nd-Glaze.aspx#

Old 11-13-08, 12:00 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Smile

Hi There,
I've been reading about your cabinet dilemma and when I saw that the Home Depot guy told you to just wash them good and repaint, well I had to reply.
I would NEVER apply any paint to a surface that has not been sanded or prepped with a solvent like "wil-bond". I have a faux finishing business and I have painted over just about every type of surface there is and in my experience, painting over anything without giving the surface you are painting some 'tooth' so the paint can stick to it, is pretty much an exercise in futility. Everytime you scratch the cabinet or bump it, the new painted surface would come off. Trust me, I have repaired mistakes like this.

Is it possible that you could post a photo of your present cabinet doors? I can't get a visual n what you describe.

Holly

Last edited by the_tow_guy; 11-13-08 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Edited inappropriate comment.
Old 11-13-08, 12:19 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I agree with the sanding them before painting.

Also, from recent experience, before sanding I would clean them with TSP as it will get all of the years of grime buildup off of them.

I believe someone has said there is a sticky that gives step by step on painting cabinets...use that for the base color (I'm assuming the instructions will include sanding between a couple of coats to minimize brushstrokes), then take a stain on a rag an rub them down being sure to push some stain into the grooves. This gives it almost a tea-stained effect.

Hope this helps.