DO I need a protective coating over Oil based Glaze?

Old 01-08-09, 06:40 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
DO I need a protective coating over Oil based Glaze?

We simply cannot afford replacement, SO, I have glazed my thermofoil cabinets. I realize this is not a long term solution, but it will buy me time until I can replace 53 cabinet doors and drawers.

1) I used "No sand" to degloss my doors, then,
2) I used 1qt each of Benjamin Moore's alkyd glaze and satin impervo paint. Honestly, they look good. (If I would to do this again, I feel like SW has a LITTLE bit better adhesion. I tried both, but BM was smoother and easier to apply.)

Since I did not prime, paint, and then glaze , would anybody recommend a protective coating over the glaze? Polyurethane?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-09, 05:12 PM
Without proper prep including priming I would be more concerned that it will not stick rather than being worried about washing off the glaze. I have found that proper preparation takes more time than finishing a project but always worth it. IMHO

Old 01-27-09, 04:02 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Thumbs up

Yeah I would suggest a polyurethane for you to use as a protective coating, you should be sure to use one, well at least I always do. Beer 4U2

Old 01-30-09, 06:51 AM
painting

I have never used one and haven't seen a problem. I guess it depends on how much traffic and potential bumps you'll get on those walls.

Old 02-28-09, 08:19 AM
Yes, always protect your work, plus it will give the glaze job some depth. Two coats of satin would do it, spraying would be best.

Billy