Gluing naugahyde

Old 02-14-09, 11:00 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gluing naugahyde

I am wondering the best method to glue naugahyde to an antique wooden desk insert. It previously had leather in the insert and now we would like to know which adhesive and method would be best for installing naugahyde with a cloth-type backing.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-09, 12:57 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I'm not sure which adhesive to use, but as for method....Can your roll the naugahyde so the "down" side is on the outside? Then you can glue the edge only at first, so it gets on nice and straight. Then add glue and unroll the naugahyde slowly, pressing it down as you go. I would think that will keep it nice and flat.
Good luck!

Old 02-26-09, 09:10 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I spoke with a colleague, and he suggested contact cement for the adhesive. It sticks to all kinds of surfaces, including leather and wood. The picture on the can even has a laminate being put on in the fashion I described (or tried to).

Old 02-28-09, 08:16 AM
Or you can create a nice faux finish leather look for the top, which will likely be easier, without rinkles, and be more durable. A couple nice coats of satin varnish over the top will give it depth and durability, and it will likely look more like leather than the leather will.

Bill