Cabinets/Glaze?

Old 02-11-10, 10:43 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cabinets/Glaze?

My wife and I are painting our cabinets and would like to add a glaze/faux finish to the outside. We sanded the cabinets down, primed with an oil based primer, and added an oil based semi gloss to the cabinets. We plan to sand again, add a final coat and move on to the glaze. We've done a test with a latex and it turned out nice. We like the look. We went with the oil-based for durability. Anyway, in regards to where we go from here, we have some questions that we hope you all can help us with.... What is better, glaze or gel stain? Will the glaze even stick to the semi-gloss? It seems slick. Should I sand it before I move on to the glaze? How long should we let it cure before we're ready to take the next step? Should I spray a coating on it an the end? Do you have any other suggestions? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-10, 06:18 AM
Whether to use gel stain or a glaze depends on the final look you're after. Glazes usually give more transparency; gel stains tend to be more opaque.

Before applying either, you need to scuff the surface (sand) and wipe clean.

If you're talking about the stain/glaze curing, look at the drying time on the can - if in doubt, wipe the surface down (after application and you THINK it's dry) with a clean white rag or paper towel. If you see ANY color on the rag, it's not dry enough.

IMHO, a topcoat is required in order to protect the color. Without it, you'll be wiping the color off when you clean the cabinets.

Acrylic polyurethane dries clear and gives a durable, scrubable surface.

Old 02-13-10, 02:14 PM
Curing time....

Thanks for the reply George. In regards to the curing time, I was referring to the paint. How long should I let the oil based semi-gloss cure before moving on the glaze/stain? I've heard as long as 30 days, but that seems excessive to me. Is that right? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Old 02-15-10, 05:56 AM
Again, I would look at the can for "approximate" drying time - then add 24 hours to that.

Almost all oil base products take weeks to totally cure, but that's not the same thing as being dry enough to topcoat.

Old 03-07-10, 05:49 PM
Acrylic Poly?

So, I referred back to this thread as we're finally getting to this step.... I noticed soemthing I didn't before however... Can I use Acrylic Polyurethane on oil based paint? I was under the impression I needed to use oil base poly for oil based paint.... Is that not right?

Old 04-01-10, 08:23 PM
cabinets

I've always used oil poly over oil and it works well. One other thought to toss into this thread for others is the thought of distressing cabinets. I've seen it done and it looks pretty cool, in the right house of course. Here's more on that from the wall perspective, but you'll get the idea. Just scroll down a ways:

Decorative painting

Also, post pictures when you're done!