Painting kitchen countertops

Old 06-30-11, 01:07 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Painting kitchen countertops

Has anyone ever painted their kitchen countertops? Had never heard of it till today. Sure would fit into my budget as opposed to replacing. What kind of paint do you use?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-11, 05:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 170 Votes on 151 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I would never recommend painting kitchen countertops. It's next to impossible to get the paint to stick to formica and there is no paint coating that will dry to a hard enough film to take the abuse that kitchen countertops are put thru. You wouldn't want any paint chips to get mixed in with your food preparation

IMO you are better off saving your money towards replacing the top. Sometimes how you decorate or set things on the countertop can accent or downplay the look of the top.

Old 07-01-11, 10:09 AM
Group Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 58 Posts
I'm with Mark, I wouldn't paint a countertop

Old 07-22-11, 05:58 PM
I painted my countertops using a kit I purchased. They turned out very nice and look like granite. The kit was only about $65 which was way better than replacement cost! Not sure I am able to mention brand names on this forum, so I think if you google countertop paint...you may find options. Good luck!

Old 07-23-11, 05:52 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 170 Votes on 151 Posts
Welcome to the forums plreed!

I don't doubt that it looks nice but how does it wear? How long ago did you paint it? What kind of use does the top endure?

Old 07-24-11, 12:24 PM
Thanks marksr!

I was skeptical too, about painting the countertop, but my son painted his using the kit about 6 months ago, so I figured, why not try it? Mine has only been painted about 3 weeks, but so far, so good. I had to let it sit for 3 days after it was complete, but I use it every day now and am very happy. First I scoured it with sos pads. Then I used the black primer and let that dry for 8 hours. Then I applied the "granite" colors using a sponge. They dried for 8 hours. Then I sanded them with 600 grit sandpaper. Then - 2 coats of the clear shiny finishing coat. The only recommendation was not to use strong cleaners on it and of course, to always use a cutting board. Maybe I'll regret it in time, but I saw this thread, and thought I'd share my experience....I will definitely post again if I find out it was a mistake!

Old 07-25-11, 07:34 AM
Group Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 58 Posts
For $65, this might be a reasonable way to extend the life of your countertops for a while so you can save for new ones.

I'm very curious to find out what kind of durability this has.

Old 07-25-11, 08:51 AM
Group Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 66 Posts
Normal latex or oil paint will not last. I believe plreed is talking about this newer counter top paint kits that are out there. Here is one example: RustOleum.com I would say give it a try.

Old 05-30-13, 09:34 AM
you should use a aliphatic acrylic polyurethane top coat paint that comes in two parts, one being a catalyst.

Before that a two part catalyst epoxy primer.

If you use one of those granite look a like kits then I highly suggest using a clear coat made of a two part aliphatic acrylic polyurethane over top of it.

spray it on through an hvlp unit if not then a regular air compressor and spray gun will work but will waste more material.

This is what any legit tub, tile and counter top refinisher uses.

using what I described and done right can last for decades.

25 years refinishing experience.