wall papering with tissue paper

Old 07-06-11, 10:33 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
wall papering with tissue paper

I'm redoing a bathroom and using tissue paper on the ceiling. I scrapped down the popcorn ceiling, primed the ceiling, brushed wall paper paste on the ceiling, applied the tissue paper, brushed it out with the same brush I used for the paste then let it dry for 72 hours. I'm now trying to paint over the tissue paper and it is bubbling up, tearing, and coming off.

Any suggetions on what I'm doing wrong or is this just part of the process. I stopped painting and left it; when I came back the paper had dried and adhered to the ceiling again, but I still have holes where the paper tore.

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-11, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
No expert...but the wallpaper paste is probably softening from the paint. If you are using a latex paint, it has water as a carrier...water will soften most wallpaper pastes.

Old 07-06-11, 12:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 49 Votes on 46 Posts
Painting over tissue paper? I don't see how that would work, tissue paper seems to be too fragile for that.

Totally different concept but what are you trying to accomplish? I'm having a hard time envisioning the finished project here.

Old 07-06-11, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
mitch...it's kind of decoupage treatment....I've seen it on the HGTV no sense of reality shows. Not sure how it was done though.

Old 07-06-11, 01:00 PM
Group Moderator
Decoupage?

Never heard of it.

Shows what I know

Old 07-06-11, 01:27 PM
There are several web sites that talk about wall papering with tissue paper. It's done to give a textured effect to a wall. I've followed the steps some of the sites give for the proceedure but have not seen anything that addresses the paper not sticking. I understand that the paint would loosen the paste, but haven't heard of anyone else having this problem.

Kurtis

Old 07-06-11, 02:18 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 130 Votes on 116 Posts
That technique is new to me...... but I don't see how wet paint would not dissolve the tissue paper. Maybe if you sprayed some type of quick dry sealer over the tissue paper - that might allow you to paint it.

Old 07-06-11, 02:51 PM
Group Moderator
Ugh. I hope this looks great when you're done, it sounds like a nightmare to me....

Old 08-03-11, 06:45 PM
Been There!

I did my walls in my office with a mixture of brown paper bags and tissue paper a few years ago. I applied the paper to the walls using a mixture of white glue and water. That's it. I never painted over the paper. Let it dry and took on the appearance of leather. Everyone who sees it, loves it. Give it a try using the glue/water mixture. Good Luck!

Old 08-13-11, 10:18 PM
I did it too and wish I could go back in time and take it all away. I used tissue only with thinned down glue. Once dried I painted it. It looked fine but like green tile or glass blocks it quickly goes out of style and it sure looks dated now. The only way to get rid of it is to apply 1/4 drywall over it or remove the drywall and start over with 1/2. Stick to the paint techniques, when you get tired of them a can of paint will fix you right up! I am really glad you like yours and I'm sure it looks great. Hope you never get tired of it!

Old 08-14-11, 05:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 130 Votes on 116 Posts
demodiva, While I'm not familiar with the tissue paper finish, you should be able to sand it down and prime or if that doesn't get it good enough, apply a skim coat of joint compound. I can't imagine where that type of finish would mandate drywall removal or lamination.

Old 08-14-11, 10:23 AM
It is on a ceiling. The tissue creates "quite" a mixed up line of ridges. If my neck could take it I could sand it down. The glue and tissue make for a pretty hard surface taking hand sanding out of the list of options. Tried it and after about an hour and no visible results gave up. I tried the orbital sander with very coarse sand paper but once the sander heated up the tissue glue mess got real gummy and clogged disks. I won't even tell you what it smelled like. I'm in Canada and up here we seldom do a textured drywall finish so to get it back to smooth like the rest of my house would be a real challenge. Skim coating after sanding was the plan but couldn't get past the sanding part. For me popping the drywall or going over it with another layer of 1/4 seems like the easier way out of this mess. It could look the the Queen's palace, I would never go through this again.

Old 09-06-11, 07:04 AM
Texturing with tissue paper can add depth and nuance to any wall. When we moved into our house 11 yrs ago there was walpaper here I tried to remove and it appeared it was really stuck on there good. I filled a bucket with hot water and fabric softner and rubbed it all over the wallpaper with a sponge and the wallpaper eventually loosened up and came off with ease. Give that a try!